Re: [oneroom] Question re. Schoolhouse Privies

  • Jim Fry
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2012
      Since no one else replied I'll give you my guess.
      .
      It doesn't sound like you found an outhouse foundation/pit. It sounds too shallow and you didn't mention a cleanout door. You also said it was quite a ways from the school.

      The style of outhouses I've seen in Northern Ohio in Amish country and on older farms are usually closer to where they are needed. A person just doesn't want to walk/run long distances on a cold day or night.  Also the ones I've seen have a way to periodicaly clean them out so they remain usable long term.

      The possible one you describe would probably be filled quite quickly if used by many students and others. The ones I've seen have pits 3/4/5 foot deep.

      Can you post a picture? Is there any holes or pipe openings in the cement? Is there any evidence of bolts or screws in the top edge of the cement which would have anchored a building to the foundation (look for rust spots)? Where did the school get drinking water? Where is the foundation in relationship to the water supply?

      Jim
      www.ohiofarmmuseum.com