Re: [oneroom] One-Room Listserv Requesting Introductions

  • PMcMillion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
      I am a history interpreter at Burritt on the Mountain - A Living History Museum in Huntsville, Alabama.  We have plans to build a reproduction Rosenwald School on our site in the near future.  In fact, we hope to start actively raising money in our community in the spring.

      Pat McMillion
    • David Lininger
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
        robansuefarm wrote:

        >As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
        >since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
        >out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
        >your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
        >with a particular school or group.

        I've been interested in one-room schools for many years, ever since I
        was asked to be the teacher in one. I declined the offer, but that got
        me thinking about them, and now I wouldn't mind taking such a position.

        --
        David Lininger, kb0zke,
        MS/HS librarian
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
          I attended rural school in the late 40's-early 50's and have many good
          memories of the Eureka School, Marion County, Iowa school days. Probably my
          experiences in rural school gave me the incentive to become a teacher. I
          retired from teaching in 1998, taking early retirement because of my
          husband's health problems.
          Presently I am curator of the Marion County Historical Village, Marion
          co Park, Knoxville, Ia and yes, among our 8 buildings we have a rural school
          house. We have many visitors who spend lots of time telling of their rural
          school experiences. Several local elementary classes visit and sometimes
          make arrangements to spend the day in "country school".
          Visit us when you can, we are open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day
          weekend. Let me know that you are coming and I'll be glad to give you a
          special tour!

          As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
          since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
          out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
          your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
          with a particular school or group.

          Sarah S. Uthoff
          Listmaster

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Pam Stover
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
            Hello all!

            I became interested in one-room schools because I knew that my parents
            went to one and that my grandmother (and several aunts) taught in them
            in Winnebago County, Iowa. I started my dissertation research after
            finding my grandmother's copy of Charles Fullerton's "One Book Music
            Course" designed for one-room schools in Iowa.

            One of my research areas is music education in the one-room schools,
            especially the Fullerton Choir Plan (in Iowa and beyond) and the
            "Journeys in Musicland" radio show of Edgar B Gordon in Wisconsin. My
            target years are 1890-1950. I have done research in school equipment
            and textbooks of the era (both music and general) as well as teacher
            preparation, certification and licenses. I am interested in the change
            in teaching methodologies as well.

            I am getting up the nerve to send the one-room school parts of my
            dissertation in to a publisher. What are your favorite history of
            education publishers? I am trying to have a scholarly book that will
            appeal to the museum crowd as well as musicians and educational
            historians. My regular publishers for music education would not be
            interested in marketing this book on the museum circuit, so I am quite
            stuck. Even though my dissertation is available on proquest.com, I
            think that I should convert it into a book, where more people could
            have a chance to read it.

            It is really odd that my research in one-room schools has lead me to my
            next research project in Munich, Germany. I am interested in the
            school music radio broadcasts that teach music skills, not music
            appreciation. Gordon did this in Wisconsin, and Carl Orff (of Carmina
            Burana fame) did this in post WWII Germany. I am now slogging through
            German archives and have hopes to write a three-book series on the
            history of the Orff-Schulwerk process of teaching music and movement.

            I was in Germany during the last national conference in Kentucky, and I
            missed all of you!

            I just submitted a paper on Illinois one-room schools in the 1930s
            (standardization, equipment, etc.) for a music conference in January.

            If anyone wants or needs my academic expertise, I am happy to help with
            your projects. I wish that I had the first-hand experiences of many of
            you on the list!

            Pam

            Dr. Pamela Stover
            Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Music Education
            School of Music (Mailcode 4302)
            Southern Illinois University
            Carbondale, Illinois 62901-4302

            (618) 453-5814 (office)
            (618) 525-9709 (cell)

            pstover@...
          • Anita
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005

              My interest in one-schools began several years ago, when I docented at a local historic part.  I was the 1883 school marm.  To know my persona better, I started researching the books used, lesson plans, layout of schools, etc.  Then I did a paper on education in early Texas and now I'm accumulating primary source references to early schools.

              I was somewhat acquainted with them prior to this experience, however, because our 4-H club met in one of the last one-room schoolhouses in our county in far Northern California in the late 50s.

              Anita in Dallas
            • ncleaveland
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                My interest in one-rooms schools began in connection with my Laura
                Ingalls Wilder research. I spent several years researching the history
                of education in Kingsbury County (Dakota Territory), 1880-1885. I
                studied school law, the records of the first superintendents of the
                county, teacher certification, school records, and how / where / when
                the original 95 schools were financed and built. Some of these 1880s
                schoolhouses are still standing; several in their original location.
                Some are in use as town halls, some are owned by various museums, some
                were converted to hog houses, garages, etc.; some are in ruin.

                Nancy Cleaveland
                Bozeman, Montana
                nansie@...
              • Mocdel1049@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                  My interest is slightly different from most on this list as I am immersed in an earlier century but I enjoy lurking here as much of what is discussed can also be applied to my site.

                  Currently I'm the Historic Sites Administrator for the Colonial Dames NJ (NSCDA-NJ) I have been a historic interpreter for nearly 20 years and throughout that time have often presented to school groups portraying an 18th century school mistress.

                  One of our sites is a one room brick schoolhouse built in 1759; it is still on its original site in Burlington County New Jersey and in excellent condition. (no heat, running water or electricity has been added) It is the oldest one room school house in the state. Our programs include a classroom experience for school aged children which I still on occasion present. Ours is not a Dames school but was actually built by private citizens for the expressed purpose of use as a school. In 1815 the building passed to the Female Benevolent Association and they ran it as a free school for the indigent of the area for another 50 years. All quite progressive for the times.

                  The Colonial Dames-NJ have owned the building since the mid 20th century and maintain it for educational purposes. Our programs consist of lessons based on primary sources including original copy books in our collection.

                  Maureen O'Connor Leach
                  64 Bernice Drive
                  Freehold NJ 07728
                  732.462.0703
                • Pickard, Kelli
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005

                    I, too, am a different century.  We moved an 1872 one-room school to our living history museum in September 2003 and restored it.  We have a Pioneer School program that allows teachers to teach an 1870s school day complete with curriculum we supply.  The students and teachers wear period appropriate clothing and do lessons on slates.  Click on our link below to see more.

                    Kelli

                    Kelli Pickard

                    Museum Director

                    Log Cabin Village

                    2100 Log Cabin Village Lane

                    Fort Worth, Texas 76109

                    (817) 871-6768

                    www.logcabinvillage.org

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                      My interest in one room schoolhouses began with an internship at the Washburn-Norland living history site in Maine. There I got to see (and help present) the innovative 2nd-person living history schoolhouse programs they perform in their 1840s schoolhouse. I later returned to California to write my MA thesis project documenting/adapting their methods to a local 1880s schoolhouse. (BRINGING THE SCHOOLHOUSE TO LIFE: METHODOLOGIES OF LIVING HISTORY EDUCATION DEMONSTRATED..., CSUSB 1994) I went on to use this research as the basis for building school outreach programs on 19th century education that I presented to school and civic groups in California. Later employment has twice had me managing living history site programs with one-room schoolhouses in Virginia and Kansas; as well as consulting with museums and civic groups on building, expanding, or maintaining existing schoolhouse interpretive programs. While I still do some consulting (anyone looking for a quick consult? ;-) ), I am mostly occupied with writing my Ph.D. dissertation on academic and reenactor interpretations of the American Civil War.
                    • Robert Goodman
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 7, 2005
                        I very much enjoy teaching through 'hands-on', and my involvement at the one-room
                        schoohouse at Living History Farms provides that teaching venue. Therefore, my primary
                        interest in this group is to glean resources and ideas for the 1875 period in order to
                        expand the use of our one-room schoolhouse.

                        Judy Goodman

                        --- robansuefarm <uthoff@...> wrote:

                        > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                        > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                        > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                        > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                        > with a particular school or group.
                        >
                        > Sarah S. Uthoff
                        > Listmaster
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        ¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
                        ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
                        ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
                        ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord....

                        Pursuant to U.S. code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II,Section 227,
                        any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent,to this address is
                        subject to a fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes, acceptance of these
                        terms. Consult http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html for details.

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • rippletonschoolhouse
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
                          I recently joined this site and I have already gotten so much
                          information off from it - thank you. I work as the Education
                          Coordinator at Lorenzo State Historic Site in Cazenovia, NY. As part
                          of our site, we have a restored circa 1814 one-room schoolhouse that
                          was donated by a local resident and moved to our property in 1997.
                          Each spring we have local fourth grade students come to the
                          schoolhouse and participate in a full-day immersion program based in
                          1887 (the time period the school is interpreted and restored to). I
                          play the 1887 schoolmarm, Miss Mattie Buckland. The students dress in
                          period clothing and bring period lunches and go through a morning
                          session, lunch, recess and an afternoon session. We also had our first
                          summer camp sessions at the school this past July. Except for the few
                          additional programs we do throughout the year at the schoolhouse, it
                          is not used as frequently as I would like, so I am on the prowl for
                          new program ideas (I have been here since April). I am particularly
                          interested in knowing if anyone has done an Arbor Day program before.
                          This would fall in nicely with our interpretive time period. I would
                          love to hear any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you!
                        • Sharon Cook
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
                            Thank you for all your interesting introductions.   I have enjoyed reading them & learning more about the one-room involvements.   My name is Sharon.   I live in a small community in Iowa, population about 5000.  I was born near here & attended a one room school near my home and loved my experience there and continued playing school where I would take the role of the teacher so my Mom used to tell everyone I have been teaching since I was five years old!!  Yes, I went on to college and not surpisingly, that became my lifetime career, spending 30 more years doing just that.   When I drove to and from my school, I often passed by the brick one-room school and was dismayed to watch it slowly deteriorate so we began an effort to restore it, got it on the Nat'l List of Historic Place, and on Iowa's most endangered historic site list, and have slowly begun this project.   Our significant person we are dedicating our school is Sarah Gillespie Huftalen who had her first year of teaching experience here and went on to teach in other schools and became nationally known for her hands on teaching methods.   She single handedly founded the Iowa Rural Teachers' Assoc. and served that organization for years.   Our school is one of very few brick one-room schools still standing in Iowa and was built in 1868.
                            To learn more about our project, we invite you to go to our website at:
                            www.mcgeebrickschool.org.....Thanks for your interest.   Our current project is to begin the interior restoration...windows & doors.....

                            Sharon D. Cook
                            gmasharon@...
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                              My interest in one-room schools is related to my birthplace being located
                              across the road from a 2 acre schoolyard and the two-story frame
                              schoolhouse. Here I attended 8 years of schooling, completing the 8th
                              grade in the spring of 1944. And here, in the fall of 1950 I was employed
                              as the teacher but the Korean Conflict and induction into the Air Force in
                              April 1951 interrupted that early career. The large schoolyard was a year
                              around playground for those of us who lived close by in the very small and
                              rural community of Lancaster, located in Keokuk County, Iowa. Although the
                              school, built in 1881, had 1 room downstairs and 1 room upstairs, the
                              upstairs room was only used sporadically after 1930 and therefore the school
                              is commonly referred to as a one-room school. After the school closed in
                              1964, the school and contents remained without change until 1983 when
                              interested citizens organized a tax exempt organization named Lancaster
                              Heritage, Inc with the goal of maintaining the school and supporting the
                              organization through donations, volunteer labor and memberships. The
                              Lancaster Heritage goals continue and my involvement is strengthened and
                              rewarded by my interest in ideas, projects, seminars and comments where I
                              learn about other one-room school stories.
                              The comments on this website have been varied and
                              interesting and my Thanks to all who have participated. Special Thanks to
                              our Listmaster, Sarah.

                              George W. House

                              > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                              > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                              > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                              > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                              > with a particular school or group.
                              >
                              > Sarah S. Uthoff
                              > Listmaster
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Sharon Cook
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                                I am sure that there are members in our non-profit organization that would be interested in visiting the school house spoken of in the attached message.   We are located in Delaware County, Iowa so would like directions or contact information from the writer, George House, if possible. We would be coming from Manchester, Iowa and our website is at www.mcgeebrickschool.org....
                                Our organization is called the McGee-Brick School Foundation....Thank you, Sarah for your efforts in  bringing this group together.....

                                Sharon Cook
                                gmasharon@...

                                > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                > with a particular school or group.
                                >
                                > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                > Listmaster
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • George House
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                                  I welcome your interest in directions or contact information regarding the Lancaster school.  The directions from Sigourney, Iowa are about 2 miles south of Sigourney on Highway 149 to County paved road V5G, then east,south and east on V5G about 3 miles and you will arrive at the Lancaster school.  Arrangements to visit the Lancaster school can be coordinated through my e-mail address :  gwhmah@....         The school does not have regular "OPEN" hours but visitors are welcomed and a special effort would be made to accomodate your schedule.  "Open House" programs or visits are held  annually but that date for 2006 has not yet been determined.  For your added information, the school house sits on the town square, platted in 1846 when Lancaster became the county seat of Keokuk County. The school yard (i.e. the town square) remains the property of Keokuk County even though the county seat location was returned to Sigourney in the 1850's after years of disputes.
                                                   A second two story frame school house, this one in Hayesville, IA (about 4 miles south and west of Lancaster), is currently the subject of discussion by interested citizens regarding possible repair and restoration work.
                                                   For your information also, I currently serve as Pres. of the Keokuk County Historical Society where significant information about former rural schools in Keokuk County is available.
                                                             Thank you, George House

                                  > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                  > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                  > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                  > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                  > with a particular school or group.
                                  >
                                  > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                  > Listmaster
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • George House
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005

                                    Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 10:42 PM

                                    Please note my e-mail address below and correct it to be gwhmah@...
                                                                  Thanks, Geo House

                                    > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                    > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                    > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                    > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                    > with a particular school or group.
                                    >
                                    > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                    > Listmaster
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • shirley
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                                      I am Shirley Knakmuhs, a board member of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in
                                      Walnut Grove,
                                      Mn. for 31 years. I went to a couple one room school houses in the "30"
                                      and 40"s. The time I
                                      remember most is at the end of the year, we put on a little play and some
                                      recitations. Fun!
                                      The teacher I had in the early 40's was called into service. I remembered
                                      him as tall, dark
                                      and handsome...His name was John and at the girls all thought he was the
                                      MOST! At the
                                      Christmas party, I talked the girls into singing.."OhJohnny".....Some of you
                                      may remember that!!
                                      I don't have much to contribute but enjoy reading the
                                      letters..Thanks...Shirley----- Original Message -----
                                      > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                      > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                      > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                      > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                      > with a particular school or group.
                                      >
                                      > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                      > Listmaster
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Michael Mescher
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                                        At 07:33 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
                                        >As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                        >since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting out a
                                        >call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where your
                                        >interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                        >with a particular school or group.
                                        >
                                        >Sarah S. Uthoff

                                        Sarah,

                                        I apologize for taking so long to respond with my introduction. I am
                                        generally a lurker in this group. Although I do not teach (but do have a
                                        teaching degree in early childhood pre-K through 5th grade, secondary
                                        education grades 7-12, and adult education), work with a one room schools,
                                        or a museum, I do research 19th century schools, teaching methods,
                                        textbooks, and subject taught. Occasionally, I have done presentations on
                                        19th century schools and teachers.

                                        In our online business, we sell two sizes of slates, hard to find slate
                                        pencils, Spencerian copy books, McGuffey and Ray's textbooks, as well as
                                        some miscellaneous text books.

                                        I enjoy the posts of others and look forward to continuing reading posts
                                        and replys.

                                        Virginia Mescher

                                        mmescher1@...
                                        Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and