SHARE: Laura Ingalls Wilder Conference

  • Sarah Uthoff
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2011
      Call for Proposals, LauraPalooza 2012:
      What Would Laura Do?

      The National Laura Ingalls Wilder
      Legacy and Research Association Conference

      Sponsored by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Legacy and Research Association and the Department of Mass Media at Minnesota State University, Mankato

      We invite submissions of paper, panel, and workshop proposals for review and possible acceptance for presentation at the second LauraPalooza conference, to be held on the campus of MSU, Mankato, July 12-14, 2012.

      The theme of this year’s conference reflects the continuing interest in the lives and stories of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, particularly as related to American culture, history, values, and ideological practice. Participants may consider asking themselves, “What Would Laura Do?”

      Topics may include:

      The broad influence the stories have had on American popular culture in the last 75 years
      The history of the books and their cultural, educational, political, and social influences
      The renewed interest in women’s handwork as cultural artifacts of women’s history
      The preservation of American folk music ways
      The preservation of American food ways
      The strategic and political influence of farming and farming culture in American history
      The long-term ramifications of the 1862 Homestead Act on Western culture
      The ever-widening circle of Lane’s politically Libertarian belief structures
      Historical racism and its lasting effects
      New discoveries in individual research that add to the Lane and Wilder legacies
      Any other way you might interpret the legacies of Wilder and Lane.

      Submit your proposal in the form of a 700- to 1,000-word abstract, outlining your idea and research, by midnight on December 15, 2011. All proposals should include a 200-word bio as would be appropriate for the conference program. Panel proposals should include bios for all panelists and his/her topic of discussion. Workshop proposals should include an outline of the workshop curriculum and materials needed.

      We are also accepting proposals for presentations or programs for Camp Laura, an activity-based conference for elementary school children, running concurrently with Laurapalooza 2012. Please follow the same submission guidelines outlined above, but denote “Camp Laura” at the top of your abstract.

      Be sure to include all contact information. Abstracts should be sent via email to amy.lauters@..., conference chair. Acceptance notifications will be sent out via email on the birthdate of Laura Ingalls Wilder: February 7. Those with accepted proposals will be expected to register for and attend the LauraPalooza 2012 conference. (Registration begins in February.)

      http://beyondlittlehouse.com/2011/08/25/laurapalooza-2012-call-for-proposals
    • Langs
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2011
        Hi Sarah,

        This has nothing to do with your posting, but I have a question - I tried to post, on oneroom, a request for old reading texts (specific title and year) but it didn't post. I am a member. What should I do?

        Thanks,
        Technologically deficit Julie

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2012
          The Laura Ingalls Wilder Legacy and Research Association will be hosting its second conference this July. It will be held on the University of Minnesota - Mankato in Mankato, MN from July 12-14, 2012. This tends to be a very broad ranging conference with last time's sessions ranging from the book design of the books, to the accuracy of the weather involved, to the use of music in the books. I think any Laura Ingalls Wilder fan will enjoy coming. We're working on the process to get approved for teacher renewal credit, but it still hasn't been determined, so no guarantee it will be offered.

          Find out more information, including the registration form:
          http://beyondlittlehouse.com/2012/02/28/registration-2012-opened/

          Sarah S. Uthoff
          Reference Librarian
          Kirkwood Community College