One-Room Listserv Requesting Introductions

  • robansuefarm
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
      As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
      since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
      out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
      your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
      with a particular school or group.

      Sarah S. Uthoff
      Listmaster
    • robansuefarm
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
        To respond to my own message, my interest in one-room schools really
        started in high school when I got a grant to put together an
        educational program for the Johnson County (IA) Historical Society.
        That got me started and I've been studying about one-room schools in my
        spare time ever since. I've been to several of the national one-room
        school conferences and the workshops presented by Iowa Historical
        Preservation Alliance about one-room schools. I've long thought that
        there should be some form of communication system up for the people
        involved in one-room schools and started this listserv, in hopes that
        it was start to answer that purpose.

        Sarah S. Uthoff
      • TOM VAUGHAN
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
          My interest is sort of hereditary. My first eight grades were in a
          one-room school, Woodland School in the Town of Rock Falls, Lincoln
          County, Wis. My first teacher was my father's first teacher, Miss
          Lenore Towle, in the same school.

          Many years and many other schools later, I found myself in the small
          community of Mancos, Colorado, near where my wife grew up at Mesa Verde
          (where she also attended a one-room school for six years). Our kids had
          the opportunity to graduate from the same high school their grandfather
          did, the oldest continuously operating high school in Colorado.

          Small schools are great, in a lot of ways, but they're financially hard
          to sustain (as the other listmembers well know). So, I got involved in
          a committee to explore multi-grade classrooms. In addition to reading
          and local discussion, I visited three such schools in Minnesota. It was
          like going back to Woodland School again! The teachers who were really
          into it were able to give substance and perspective to the experience I
          had had as a child — the cooperative learning, the socialization of new
          students and the freedom to explore beyond the minimum. I also learned
          that it works better if it's planned and intentional, not as a way to
          save money this year.

          For the last six years, I've been the editor (and janitor) of our small
          weekly newspaper, The Mancos Times, serving the Mancos Valley since
          1893. My beat is the valley community, including the Town of Mancos,
          and the schools are an important part of our community. My older
          neighbors vividly remember the successful fight they put up to fend off
          consolidation in the late 1940s, and it's a constant challenge to prove
          that small can be good — a challenge I believe we're winning! So, I'm
          interested in alternative approaches to education in small settings. I
          also worked for a couple of years on an NSF-funded science and math
          initiative aimed at the schools serving the Ute tribes in Colorado and
          Utah; that exposed me to a different set of problems, especially those
          faced by students whose first language is not English and whose
          cultural modes of conceptualizing their world are not as linear as
          mine. All of which comes back to Mancos, where we have an increasingly
          diverse student population, K-12, all on one block in a little town of
          1,140 and a district population of about 3,000.

          Anything I can learn from lurking on the One-Room list will help me to
          better understand, report on and stimulate discussion about the
          educational opportunities in our community.

          Thank you all for your sharing and for creating this listserv for folks
          like me to learn from.

          Tom Vaughan
          Editor
          The Mancos Times
        • Isabel Ganz
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
            My interest in one-room schools really began when I was quite young and
            reading lots of historical novels that featured one-room schools. I am a
            retired teacher who has taught every grade from 1-12 except grade three.
            Although I taught in graded schools, I always formed multiple groups in my
            classrooms, recognizing that even within the same grade, there were great
            individual differences in interests and abilities among the students. I
            think this gave me an appreciation of the difficulties faced by teachers in
            one-room schools.

            I know next to nothing about present day one-room schools and that's why I'm
            a lurker on this list. I enjoy reading the posts and hope to keep learning
            more.

            Isabel Ganz

          • PMcMillion@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2005
              I am a history interpreter at Burritt on the Mountain - A Living History Museum in Huntsville, Alabama.  We have plans to build a reproduction Rosenwald School on our site in the near future.  In fact, we hope to start actively raising money in our community in the spring.

              Pat McMillion
            • David Lininger
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                robansuefarm wrote:

                >As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                >since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                >out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                >your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                >with a particular school or group.

                I've been interested in one-room schools for many years, ever since I
                was asked to be the teacher in one. I declined the offer, but that got
                me thinking about them, and now I wouldn't mind taking such a position.

                --
                David Lininger, kb0zke,
                MS/HS librarian
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                  I attended rural school in the late 40's-early 50's and have many good
                  memories of the Eureka School, Marion County, Iowa school days. Probably my
                  experiences in rural school gave me the incentive to become a teacher. I
                  retired from teaching in 1998, taking early retirement because of my
                  husband's health problems.
                  Presently I am curator of the Marion County Historical Village, Marion
                  co Park, Knoxville, Ia and yes, among our 8 buildings we have a rural school
                  house. We have many visitors who spend lots of time telling of their rural
                  school experiences. Several local elementary classes visit and sometimes
                  make arrangements to spend the day in "country school".
                  Visit us when you can, we are open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day
                  weekend. Let me know that you are coming and I'll be glad to give you a
                  special tour!

                  As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                  since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                  out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                  your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                  with a particular school or group.

                  Sarah S. Uthoff
                  Listmaster

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Pam Stover
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Hello all!

                    I became interested in one-room schools because I knew that my parents
                    went to one and that my grandmother (and several aunts) taught in them
                    in Winnebago County, Iowa. I started my dissertation research after
                    finding my grandmother's copy of Charles Fullerton's "One Book Music
                    Course" designed for one-room schools in Iowa.

                    One of my research areas is music education in the one-room schools,
                    especially the Fullerton Choir Plan (in Iowa and beyond) and the
                    "Journeys in Musicland" radio show of Edgar B Gordon in Wisconsin. My
                    target years are 1890-1950. I have done research in school equipment
                    and textbooks of the era (both music and general) as well as teacher
                    preparation, certification and licenses. I am interested in the change
                    in teaching methodologies as well.

                    I am getting up the nerve to send the one-room school parts of my
                    dissertation in to a publisher. What are your favorite history of
                    education publishers? I am trying to have a scholarly book that will
                    appeal to the museum crowd as well as musicians and educational
                    historians. My regular publishers for music education would not be
                    interested in marketing this book on the museum circuit, so I am quite
                    stuck. Even though my dissertation is available on proquest.com, I
                    think that I should convert it into a book, where more people could
                    have a chance to read it.

                    It is really odd that my research in one-room schools has lead me to my
                    next research project in Munich, Germany. I am interested in the
                    school music radio broadcasts that teach music skills, not music
                    appreciation. Gordon did this in Wisconsin, and Carl Orff (of Carmina
                    Burana fame) did this in post WWII Germany. I am now slogging through
                    German archives and have hopes to write a three-book series on the
                    history of the Orff-Schulwerk process of teaching music and movement.

                    I was in Germany during the last national conference in Kentucky, and I
                    missed all of you!

                    I just submitted a paper on Illinois one-room schools in the 1930s
                    (standardization, equipment, etc.) for a music conference in January.

                    If anyone wants or needs my academic expertise, I am happy to help with
                    your projects. I wish that I had the first-hand experiences of many of
                    you on the list!

                    Pam

                    Dr. Pamela Stover
                    Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Music Education
                    School of Music (Mailcode 4302)
                    Southern Illinois University
                    Carbondale, Illinois 62901-4302

                    (618) 453-5814 (office)
                    (618) 525-9709 (cell)

                    pstover@...
                  • Anita
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005

                      My interest in one-schools began several years ago, when I docented at a local historic part.  I was the 1883 school marm.  To know my persona better, I started researching the books used, lesson plans, layout of schools, etc.  Then I did a paper on education in early Texas and now I'm accumulating primary source references to early schools.

                      I was somewhat acquainted with them prior to this experience, however, because our 4-H club met in one of the last one-room schoolhouses in our county in far Northern California in the late 50s.

                      Anita in Dallas
                    • ncleaveland
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 2, 2005
                        My interest in one-rooms schools began in connection with my Laura
                        Ingalls Wilder research. I spent several years researching the history
                        of education in Kingsbury County (Dakota Territory), 1880-1885. I
                        studied school law, the records of the first superintendents of the
                        county, teacher certification, school records, and how / where / when
                        the original 95 schools were financed and built. Some of these 1880s
                        schoolhouses are still standing; several in their original location.
                        Some are in use as town halls, some are owned by various museums, some
                        were converted to hog houses, garages, etc.; some are in ruin.

                        Nancy Cleaveland
                        Bozeman, Montana
                        nansie@...
                      • Mocdel1049@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                          My interest is slightly different from most on this list as I am immersed in an earlier century but I enjoy lurking here as much of what is discussed can also be applied to my site.

                          Currently I'm the Historic Sites Administrator for the Colonial Dames NJ (NSCDA-NJ) I have been a historic interpreter for nearly 20 years and throughout that time have often presented to school groups portraying an 18th century school mistress.

                          One of our sites is a one room brick schoolhouse built in 1759; it is still on its original site in Burlington County New Jersey and in excellent condition. (no heat, running water or electricity has been added) It is the oldest one room school house in the state. Our programs include a classroom experience for school aged children which I still on occasion present. Ours is not a Dames school but was actually built by private citizens for the expressed purpose of use as a school. In 1815 the building passed to the Female Benevolent Association and they ran it as a free school for the indigent of the area for another 50 years. All quite progressive for the times.

                          The Colonial Dames-NJ have owned the building since the mid 20th century and maintain it for educational purposes. Our programs consist of lessons based on primary sources including original copy books in our collection.

                          Maureen O'Connor Leach
                          64 Bernice Drive
                          Freehold NJ 07728
                          732.462.0703
                        • Pickard, Kelli
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005

                            I, too, am a different century.  We moved an 1872 one-room school to our living history museum in September 2003 and restored it.  We have a Pioneer School program that allows teachers to teach an 1870s school day complete with curriculum we supply.  The students and teachers wear period appropriate clothing and do lessons on slates.  Click on our link below to see more.

                            Kelli

                            Kelli Pickard

                            Museum Director

                            Log Cabin Village

                            2100 Log Cabin Village Lane

                            Fort Worth, Texas 76109

                            (817) 871-6768

                            www.logcabinvillage.org

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 3, 2005
                              My interest in one room schoolhouses began with an internship at the Washburn-Norland living history site in Maine. There I got to see (and help present) the innovative 2nd-person living history schoolhouse programs they perform in their 1840s schoolhouse. I later returned to California to write my MA thesis project documenting/adapting their methods to a local 1880s schoolhouse. (BRINGING THE SCHOOLHOUSE TO LIFE: METHODOLOGIES OF LIVING HISTORY EDUCATION DEMONSTRATED..., CSUSB 1994) I went on to use this research as the basis for building school outreach programs on 19th century education that I presented to school and civic groups in California. Later employment has twice had me managing living history site programs with one-room schoolhouses in Virginia and Kansas; as well as consulting with museums and civic groups on building, expanding, or maintaining existing schoolhouse interpretive programs. While I still do some consulting (anyone looking for a quick consult? ;-) ), I am mostly occupied with writing my Ph.D. dissertation on academic and reenactor interpretations of the American Civil War.
                            • Robert Goodman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 7, 2005
                                I very much enjoy teaching through 'hands-on', and my involvement at the one-room
                                schoohouse at Living History Farms provides that teaching venue. Therefore, my primary
                                interest in this group is to glean resources and ideas for the 1875 period in order to
                                expand the use of our one-room schoolhouse.

                                Judy Goodman

                                --- robansuefarm <uthoff@...> wrote:

                                > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                > with a particular school or group.
                                >
                                > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                > Listmaster
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                ¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
                                ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
                                ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
                                ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord....

                                Pursuant to U.S. code, title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II,Section 227,
                                any and all unsolicited commercial E-mail sent,to this address is
                                subject to a fee of $500.00 U.S. E-Mailing denotes, acceptance of these
                                terms. Consult http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html for details.

                                __________________________________
                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • rippletonschoolhouse
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
                                  I recently joined this site and I have already gotten so much
                                  information off from it - thank you. I work as the Education
                                  Coordinator at Lorenzo State Historic Site in Cazenovia, NY. As part
                                  of our site, we have a restored circa 1814 one-room schoolhouse that
                                  was donated by a local resident and moved to our property in 1997.
                                  Each spring we have local fourth grade students come to the
                                  schoolhouse and participate in a full-day immersion program based in
                                  1887 (the time period the school is interpreted and restored to). I
                                  play the 1887 schoolmarm, Miss Mattie Buckland. The students dress in
                                  period clothing and bring period lunches and go through a morning
                                  session, lunch, recess and an afternoon session. We also had our first
                                  summer camp sessions at the school this past July. Except for the few
                                  additional programs we do throughout the year at the schoolhouse, it
                                  is not used as frequently as I would like, so I am on the prowl for
                                  new program ideas (I have been here since April). I am particularly
                                  interested in knowing if anyone has done an Arbor Day program before.
                                  This would fall in nicely with our interpretive time period. I would
                                  love to hear any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you!
                                • Sharon Cook
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 10, 2005
                                    Thank you for all your interesting introductions.   I have enjoyed reading them & learning more about the one-room involvements.   My name is Sharon.   I live in a small community in Iowa, population about 5000.  I was born near here & attended a one room school near my home and loved my experience there and continued playing school where I would take the role of the teacher so my Mom used to tell everyone I have been teaching since I was five years old!!  Yes, I went on to college and not surpisingly, that became my lifetime career, spending 30 more years doing just that.   When I drove to and from my school, I often passed by the brick one-room school and was dismayed to watch it slowly deteriorate so we began an effort to restore it, got it on the Nat'l List of Historic Place, and on Iowa's most endangered historic site list, and have slowly begun this project.   Our significant person we are dedicating our school is Sarah Gillespie Huftalen who had her first year of teaching experience here and went on to teach in other schools and became nationally known for her hands on teaching methods.   She single handedly founded the Iowa Rural Teachers' Assoc. and served that organization for years.   Our school is one of very few brick one-room schools still standing in Iowa and was built in 1868.
                                    To learn more about our project, we invite you to go to our website at:
                                    www.mcgeebrickschool.org.....Thanks for your interest.   Our current project is to begin the interior restoration...windows & doors.....

                                    Sharon D. Cook
                                    gmasharon@...

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                                      My interest in one-room schools is related to my birthplace being located
                                      across the road from a 2 acre schoolyard and the two-story frame
                                      schoolhouse. Here I attended 8 years of schooling, completing the 8th
                                      grade in the spring of 1944. And here, in the fall of 1950 I was employed
                                      as the teacher but the Korean Conflict and induction into the Air Force in
                                      April 1951 interrupted that early career. The large schoolyard was a year
                                      around playground for those of us who lived close by in the very small and
                                      rural community of Lancaster, located in Keokuk County, Iowa. Although the
                                      school, built in 1881, had 1 room downstairs and 1 room upstairs, the
                                      upstairs room was only used sporadically after 1930 and therefore the school
                                      is commonly referred to as a one-room school. After the school closed in
                                      1964, the school and contents remained without change until 1983 when
                                      interested citizens organized a tax exempt organization named Lancaster
                                      Heritage, Inc with the goal of maintaining the school and supporting the
                                      organization through donations, volunteer labor and memberships. The
                                      Lancaster Heritage goals continue and my involvement is strengthened and
                                      rewarded by my interest in ideas, projects, seminars and comments where I
                                      learn about other one-room school stories.
                                      The comments on this website have been varied and
                                      interesting and my Thanks to all who have participated. Special Thanks to
                                      our Listmaster, Sarah.

                                      George W. House

                                      > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                      > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                      > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                      > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                      > with a particular school or group.
                                      >
                                      > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                      > Listmaster
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Sharon Cook
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                                        I am sure that there are members in our non-profit organization that would be interested in visiting the school house spoken of in the attached message.   We are located in Delaware County, Iowa so would like directions or contact information from the writer, George House, if possible. We would be coming from Manchester, Iowa and our website is at www.mcgeebrickschool.org....
                                        Our organization is called the McGee-Brick School Foundation....Thank you, Sarah for your efforts in  bringing this group together.....

                                        Sharon Cook
                                        gmasharon@...

                                        > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                        > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                        > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                        > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                        > with a particular school or group.
                                        >
                                        > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                        > Listmaster
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • George House
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005
                                          I welcome your interest in directions or contact information regarding the Lancaster school.  The directions from Sigourney, Iowa are about 2 miles south of Sigourney on Highway 149 to County paved road V5G, then east,south and east on V5G about 3 miles and you will arrive at the Lancaster school.  Arrangements to visit the Lancaster school can be coordinated through my e-mail address :  gwhmah@....         The school does not have regular "OPEN" hours but visitors are welcomed and a special effort would be made to accomodate your schedule.  "Open House" programs or visits are held  annually but that date for 2006 has not yet been determined.  For your added information, the school house sits on the town square, platted in 1846 when Lancaster became the county seat of Keokuk County. The school yard (i.e. the town square) remains the property of Keokuk County even though the county seat location was returned to Sigourney in the 1850's after years of disputes.
                                                           A second two story frame school house, this one in Hayesville, IA (about 4 miles south and west of Lancaster), is currently the subject of discussion by interested citizens regarding possible repair and restoration work.
                                                           For your information also, I currently serve as Pres. of the Keokuk County Historical Society where significant information about former rural schools in Keokuk County is available.
                                                                     Thank you, George House

                                          > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                          > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                          > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                          > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                          > with a particular school or group.
                                          >
                                          > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                          > Listmaster
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • George House
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 12, 2005

                                            Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 10:42 PM

                                            Please note my e-mail address below and correct it to be gwhmah@...
                                                                          Thanks, Geo House

                                            > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                            > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                            > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                            > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                            > with a particular school or group.
                                            >
                                            > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                            > Listmaster
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • shirley
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 14, 2005
                                              I am Shirley Knakmuhs, a board member of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in
                                              Walnut Grove,
                                              Mn. for 31 years. I went to a couple one room school houses in the "30"
                                              and 40"s. The time I
                                              remember most is at the end of the year, we put on a little play and some
                                              recitations. Fun!
                                              The teacher I had in the early 40's was called into service. I remembered
                                              him as tall, dark
                                              and handsome...His name was John and at the girls all thought he was the
                                              MOST! At the
                                              Christmas party, I talked the girls into singing.."OhJohnny".....Some of you
                                              may remember that!!
                                              I don't have much to contribute but enjoy reading the
                                              letters..Thanks...Shirley----- Original Message -----
                                              > As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                              > since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting
                                              > out a call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where
                                              > your interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                              > with a particular school or group.
                                              >
                                              > Sarah S. Uthoff
                                              > Listmaster
                                              >

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Michael Mescher
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 15, 2005
                                                At 07:33 PM 11/1/2005, you wrote:
                                                >As of this week, we are up to 52 members. Some of you have been with us
                                                >since last March, but we've never done introductions. So I'm putting out a
                                                >call please reply and send the group an e-mail and tell us where your
                                                >interest in one-room schools comes from and if you are associated
                                                >with a particular school or group.
                                                >
                                                >Sarah S. Uthoff

                                                Sarah,

                                                I apologize for taking so long to respond with my introduction. I am
                                                generally a lurker in this group. Although I do not teach (but do have a
                                                teaching degree in early childhood pre-K through 5th grade, secondary
                                                education grades 7-12, and adult education), work with a one room schools,
                                                or a museum, I do research 19th century schools, teaching methods,
                                                textbooks, and subject taught. Occasionally, I have done presentations on
                                                19th century schools and teachers.

                                                In our online business, we sell two sizes of slates, hard to find slate
                                                pencils, Spencerian copy books, McGuffey and Ray's textbooks, as well as
                                                some miscellaneous text books.

                                                I enjoy the posts of others and look forward to continuing reading posts
                                                and replys.

                                                Virginia Mescher

                                                mmescher1@...
                                                Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and