Winter close-up

  • mikesueday
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
      Like many organizations, we are looking at the budget and trying to save some money. We're talking about turning off the electricity and the heat for the winter (we are only open during the summer anyway). Is this reasonable? safe? practical? Materials in the school-house include a variety of desks in different styles; some old textbooks, but nothing really rare, fragile or valuable. How do other people handle buttoning up an old school-house for the winter?

      Mike Day
    • Picard, Dennis
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
        This question comes up periodically in many historic houses, not just
        school houses. A number of years ago I attended a workshop hosted by
        Historic New England - formerly the Society for the Preservation of New
        England Antiquities - their take was that it was actually better for a
        building and its contents to be shut down and secured than to
        artificially heat it which, especially in New England with common
        heating systems, tended to dry out the wood of the framing as well as
        the furniture, much to their detriment. It is an issue of drastic
        humidity swings more than being cold or hot. You may want to check some
        of HNE's on-line resources to see if they have any further information
        or details

        Dennis D. Picard

        Storrowton Village Museum

      • Maureen OConnor Leach
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
          My experience in closing for winter has been positive

          Our school house (Mt Holly NJ;built 1759) has no heat or electricity
          The furniture books etc there year round have not suffered from lack of climate control

          Textiles and rare ephemera are NOT left in building
          We have no school groups Nov-Mar and only one program a month Nov & Dec.
          Jan-Mar the building is closed
          Of course no need to drain pipes etc as we have nothing
          but the artifacts seem fine (We own building since 1959)

          Maureen O'Connor Leach
          64 Bernice Drive
          Freehold NJ 07728
          732 462 0703

          Like many organizations, we are looking at the budget and trying to save some money. We're talking about turning off the electricity and the heat for the winter (we are only open during the summer anyway). Is this reasonable? safe? practical? Materials in the school-house include a variety of desks in different styles; some old textbooks, but nothing really rare, fragile or valuable. How do other people handle buttoning up an old school-house for the winter?

          Mike Day

        • Dennis Patton
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
            We at Sand bank School are facing the same dilema. We plan to turn the heat down to 40 but it still takes money. Something most of us with one-roomers don't have alot of. I have paraphrased many of your information articles posted on CSAA Newsletter in my presentations about rural schooling.Hope that was OK...Have you checked out our facebook page. Sand Bank School ????