Re: [oneroom] Locating Historical schools

  • Dennis Patton
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
      Thanks for the Email... I have a power point presentation about our Sand Bank Project..I will be presenting it a CSAA.... I did my MS at SIU and worked with Bill Eaton on one-room schools in Southern Illinois....I have written the histories of West Frankfort Schools (my hometown) and North Wayne (Cisne) my first principalship...Now I am working on the history of the Columbia Schools, with details on the nine one-room rural schools that eventually became Unit # 4 in 1951...Have lots of old pictures and information and the local paper, the Independent, is running a series of articles I am writing that will be included in the history...

      Learn more at www.aosa.org

      On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Dennis wrote:

      > In October a friend and I purchased a one-room schoolhouse built in 1855. I am the retired Princiapl of Columbia, Illinois, High School. I found this old school all overgrown and ready to fall apart if the roof and several oither structural problems were not fixed. We have a facebook page, Sand Bank School... and I have lots of pictures on my facebbok page, Dennis Patton. I did my masters thesis at SIU Carbondale on one- room schools in Souhtern Illnois. An interesting fact, the first school in the Illinois Territory was a little south of our school, also in Monroe County, Illinois. In 1783 John Sealy opened the first English speaking subscription school in an abandoned log cabin. In 1817 the first Sand Bank Schol was built of logs by the son of the Revolutionary War veteran James Piggot, who later founded est St. Louis.... and in 1855 the current school house replaced the old subscription school and became Sand Bank Public School District #55. I have
      the title records all the way back to 1813....

    • Dennis Patton
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
        Hi Pam...Follow the  links and you can add it yourself...They will check out the details and add it....

        ________________________________
        Hello Dr. Pam......I have checked out this website and am impressed to see
        many historical sites listed. However, I am wondering if you would please
        add our historical one-room school to this website. I am chairperson of
        the McGee-Brick School located in Delaware Country Iowa and would like to
        have our little school listed, if possible. Please go to our website:
        www.mcgeebrickschoo l.org for more information. Thank you, Sharon Cook

        Sharon Cook
        gmasharon@mchsi. com
        gmasharon56@ gmail.com
        sharon@mcgeebricksc hool.org

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2010
          Sand Bank School, Columbia Illinois, was built in 1855 on a stone foundation from a log subscription school dating as early as 1817. Just last week the interior was complete except for wainscoting and blackboards that will be put in next month. We just decorated it for our Christmas Holiday Tour. Check it and and all of our photo's on Facebook: Sand Bank School...See what two retired guys and lots of volunteers can do.