Married Teachers

  • robansuefarm
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2010
      LeighAnn- I hit a wrong button. Sorry. Here's the message LeighAnn meant to send below.

      Sarah Uthoff

      Thanks for sharing this Sarah. We actually have a winter term teacher in our schoolhouse in 1879-1880 that we are pretty sure was a married woman. Originally, we thought it was a man as only initials—E. J. Statler—were used but after looking at census records, we are pretty sure our teacher was Eliza J. Statler, a married woman and mother. Two of her children were attending the school at the time. Our school had two classrooms in use and she was teaching the classroom generally filled with the "older" kids including older boys and certainly suggests that older women even if married as well as men were sought after for winter terms when older boys were more likely in attendance. We haven't found that she taught at our school during any other term but certainly suggests that even in the 19th century, "no married teachers" is not across the board.