The Smoking Gun of Rules for a Schoolhouse

  • hickorystick1830
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2009
      Okay, we've all seen those list of rules for teachers etc. – well while doing research on something completely different I ran across an 1853 version from THE NEW ENGLAND FARMER. At least this one identifies what school district and where this list is from - an a "real date." But was this a hoax too, being a Massachusetts paper publishing something from far off Canada??
      Dennis D. Picard
      Director
      Storrowton Village Museum

      THE NEW ENGLAND FARMER VOL. 5 1853

      "NOVEL SCHOOL REGULATIONS.—A Canadian paper gives the following as the literal copy of the rules and regulations adopted by the school trustees of school section No. 14, in the township of Nissouri, Oxford. It is worthy of preservation as a curiosity of literature :—
      "Thou shalt not lie thou shalt not swear thou shalt not speak a smutty or blagard talk thou shalt not steal thy neighbor's dinner his ink or handle his books or anything that is his.
      "No whispering no laughing no leaving Seats without liberty nor meddle with books Slates pens nor ink without liberty no quarreling no lying no Swearing Stealing nor telling tales out of schools no disputing no bad language no fitting no pushing each other in the mud nor in the ditch on the road home.
      "Any children coming without proper books their parents to be notified by a letter if attended to shall be liable to be dismissed at quarter before 10 o'clock from school."
    • robansuefarm
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2009
        I'm kind of confused. Do you mean you found it in an actual copy of the New England Farmer from 1853 or do you mean you found it in another paper sourcing it to the New England Farmer in 1853?

        Sarah S. Uthoff
      • Picard, Dennis
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
          I mean I found it in the 1853 issue of the NEW ENGLAND FARMER I was doing research in - so yes, in the period paper, not a copy, not a quote from a newer publication.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2009
            This was great! Thank you!
          • Fay Stone
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
              Interesting list from your 'smoking gun' However, don't forget that in those days, each School Board had the power of setting their own perameters with much greater powers than even today, which is still the smallest but most influencial taxing body in the country.
              While these rules may have applied (especially since at that time, most teachers were men) in those districts, they may not have covered others at some distances.

              I have seen many of these 'teacher rules' and most are as archaic as this, but most were applied locally, not nationally.

              Fay Stone, Pioneer Sholes School Museum

            • Picard, Dennis
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009
                Fay - that is kind of the point of my posting: most if not all of these "rules" we see posted on websites and at school house museums are not real and cannot be documented. This list is VERY early being from 1853 and actually notes the town and district. Nowhere does the period article or I say that "the list" is national (remember it is from Canada) or any where other than the town listed. It has been asked over and over where did those "other lists" come from and no one can track down the source. Well, here is the "smoking gun," an actual list from a period paper.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2010
                  Thank you for posting this very interesting information.

                  I do historical interpretation at Westfield Heritage Village in Rockton, Ontario and one of the buildings in which I volunteer is the Cathcart school house, circa 1843. This school house was originally located in Cathcart, which isn't all that far off from the location noted in this article.

                  It would be interesting to source the "Canadian paper" to which they refer.

                  Jacqueline
                  Guelph, Ontario