desks/benches

  • Heritage Commission
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2009
      A volunteer will be making our benches/desks over the winter in preparation for our school classes next year. The desks will be similar to many we've seen in other schools, most notably our neighbor in Nashua NH, where my desk top is hooked to the back of your seat.

      Do any of you have replica desks that were made? If so, do you know what kind of wood they are made out of? Our volunteer is leaning towards pine as a readily available material of the era (mid 1800s) but wonders if a harder material may be better. Any thoughts?

      Kathie Northrup
      Head School
      Hooksett NH