Re: [oneroom] Iowa One-Room School Workshop

  • Guthrie Co Historical Village
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
      I will be there, Sarah.  I believe you and I are presenting on somewhat of the same topic.  It will be nice to meet you.

      Kristine Jorgensen
      Museum Curator,
      Guthrie County Historical Village
      *************************************
      Website:  www.panora.org/museum
      Email:  gchv@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
        There were several members of the list at the One-Room School Conference in Perry, Iowa. It was very enjoyable and Perry definitely showed itself off as a showplace for a conference, except for some technical glitches with being able to use a computer to present. I would also like to recommend that anyone who has a chance to stop by and see their Carnegie Library one of the best recreated late 19th early 20th century libraries, I've ever seen.

        Most of Friday was dedicated to speakers. Subjects covered included: this listserv, constructing a webpage for country schools, the current number of one-room schools in America, working with volunteers, grants, the photography contest at the State Fair next year, and some projects that the Successful Farming people are getting started. Please reply to list if you want to give anything more detail. Then we toured Perry, visited an antique store with a one-room school display, and had supper.

        Saturday morning we met to tour schools.

        I think it was a valuable networking session not only for Iowa people, but also for the out-of-staters.

        Sarah S. Uthoff
      • robansuefarm
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
          The IHPA's one-room school workshop will be held Oct. 10 and 11, 2008
          in Ames, Iowa. As always, Bill Sherman has set up a jam packed
          schedule. While aimed mostly at people who are involved with one-room
          school museums, people just interested will find it interesting as
          well, especially the tour of school museums the second day.

          Registration will cost $30 for each day. For more information or a
          brochure, contact:
          Bill Sherman 1-800-434-2039 or wsherman@...
          or Carole Jensen 1-515-233-2431 or HMJensen@...

          They have provided one motel with a conference rate and camper parking
          is available.

          Also, as a preview hold the first weekend of October 2009 for the
          workshop to be held at Independence. I'm going to be speaking at 2009
          about one-room school lunches. Stay tuned.

          Sarah Uthoff
        • Sharon Cook
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26, 2008
            Hi Everyone.........I would like to post our announcement of a very special
            event coming up....Our little McGee-Brick School, located 3 miles West of
            Manchester, Iowa, is going to be celebrating 140 years of being in
            existence.....(By the way, she looks pretty good for her age, I'd say!!)
            The event will be held there at the school from 1:30 to 4:00 pm. There will
            be good music, 2 skits featuring students from West Delaware Schools,
            prizes, a tour of our little school, and good food too....One of the skits
            to be enacted will be of an incident taken directly from Sarah Gillespie
            Huftalen's diary, All Will Yet Be Well....There will be no admission but
            donations to our restoration efforts will be welcomed.....You all are
            welcome to come!! Sharon Cook

            --
            Sharon Cook
            gmasharon@...

          • Sharon Cook
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26, 2008
              PS Everyone.........I failed to tell you the date.........So Sorry.....That
              date will be Saturday, September 6!! Hope to see you there!!

              --
              Sharon Cook
              gmasharon@...

            • robansuefarm
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
                This weekend was the annual Iowa One-Room School event sponsored by the Iowa Historic Preservation Alliance. Thanks again to Bill and Faith Sherman for organizing a great event. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I got a list of people to invite and sometime in the next week I'll be sending out invitations to join. If you accidentally get a request to join when you already belong, go ahead and delete it.

                Sarah S. Uthoff
                List Mistress
                suthoff@...
              • robansuefarm
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2014

                  It's that time of year again. The Iowa one-room school workshop was yesterday and today. So I'll be sending out some invites. I'm just running down a list so if you already belong and get invite I'm sorry. Otherwise we might see some extra posts as invitations are sent out. Thank you for your patience.

                  Sarah Uthoff

                  List Mistress