Re: One Room Schoolhouse in Southern NH

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
      Hello All:
      The couple from San Francisco Bay area in CA certainly started a terrific topic for discussion! The Pharis District School has quite the checkered past and some fun details! I hope they consider attending the CSAA conference in PA in June to meet schoolhouse types from around the country.

      I represent the District #1 Schoolhouse in Nashua, New Hampshire, working as a schoolmarm in a living history program for the city's 4th graders. Our brick schoolhouse with two front doors, was built in 1841 and used until 1921 when closed for consolidation. It sits in the middle of the Old South Burial Ground where heros of the Revolutionary War are buried, a young woman named Elizabeth Weld was buried in 1687 (our oldest stone), and where eight young men, all friends, are buried in a common grave dated September 5th, 1724, having been "slew, all in a day, by the Indiens (sic)." Imagine that carved in stone!!! It was restored in 1976 for the Bicentennial and has been used continuously for this 4th grade program. It is curated and cared for by a small local chapter of the Benevolent Association of the Daughters of the King and is in near perfect condition. Recently we noticed the floor was sinking near the front foyer and called in a historic architectural engineer. Thinking it was going to be devastating news...we waited for his verdict. Come to find out, the schoolhouse had been propped up by one boulder sitting on top of another to hold up a vital floor beam. The top boulder had simply cracked in half. One hydraulic jack and a new boulder later and the schoolhouse was back in perfect shape. Yankee ingenuity!!!! $600 was a pittance compared to what we thought it would cost!! I will post pictures in our photo section as soon as I figure out how. Many of our readers visited our schoolhouse when we hosted the 7th Annual CSAA Conference in 2007. Keep your stories coming......
      Regards,
      Susan Fineman
      Nashua, NH