Re: [oneroom] One Room Schoolhouse in San Francisco Bay area

  • Sharon Cook
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Dan---How neat it is to hear from someone interested in one-room schools
      from your state. The school I represent in this organization is called the
      McGee-Brick School and is located near Manchester, Iowa...in east-central
      Iowa....It is one of only 3 brick one room schools still standing in our
      state. It was built in 1868. Our organization was begun in 1999 so we
      have been at the restoration project for 10 years now. If we get the grant
      I just applied for, we will finally complete restoration of the intereior
      anyhow. It was in very bad shape when we took it over....There was a hole
      in the back wall from the peak of the roof...down about 10 feet. We had to
      find old matching brick in Dubuque where they were tearing down old brick
      buildings. They just let us have them and we got a man who was into
      restoration lay the brick and re-tuckpointed it. We also had a Eagle Scout
      bring his troop out to lay the wooden shingles for the roof...the chimney
      had to be replaced. Another scout group gutted the interior because the
      original walls were all covered with writing, etc and holes were kicked in.
      We have had desks donated to us and one of the original ceiling (hanging)
      electric lights....We plan to have a school day in the 1880's for some kids
      that want to do that when it is all restored....Keep up the good
      work.....Sharon Cook Take a look at our website: www.mcgeebrickschool.org
      Enjoy!!

      --
      Sharon Cook
      gmasharon@...

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
        Hello All:
        The couple from San Francisco Bay area in CA certainly started a terrific topic for discussion! The Pharis District School has quite the checkered past and some fun details! I hope they consider attending the CSAA conference in PA in June to meet schoolhouse types from around the country.

        I represent the District #1 Schoolhouse in Nashua, New Hampshire, working as a schoolmarm in a living history program for the city's 4th graders. Our brick schoolhouse with two front doors, was built in 1841 and used until 1921 when closed for consolidation. It sits in the middle of the Old South Burial Ground where heros of the Revolutionary War are buried, a young woman named Elizabeth Weld was buried in 1687 (our oldest stone), and where eight young men, all friends, are buried in a common grave dated September 5th, 1724, having been "slew, all in a day, by the Indiens (sic)." Imagine that carved in stone!!! It was restored in 1976 for the Bicentennial and has been used continuously for this 4th grade program. It is curated and cared for by a small local chapter of the Benevolent Association of the Daughters of the King and is in near perfect condition. Recently we noticed the floor was sinking near the front foyer and called in a historic architectural engineer. Thinking it was going to be devastating news...we waited for his verdict. Come to find out, the schoolhouse had been propped up by one boulder sitting on top of another to hold up a vital floor beam. The top boulder had simply cracked in half. One hydraulic jack and a new boulder later and the schoolhouse was back in perfect shape. Yankee ingenuity!!!! $600 was a pittance compared to what we thought it would cost!! I will post pictures in our photo section as soon as I figure out how. Many of our readers visited our schoolhouse when we hosted the 7th Annual CSAA Conference in 2007. Keep your stories coming......
        Regards,
        Susan Fineman
        Nashua, NH