Re: [oneroom] mean teachers

  • daspeer@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008
      I am remember my parents talking about some teachers that had done some of the things that you mention; however, I think this was probably stories about inexperienced teachers. I taught 7th trough 12th grade in public schools for 42 years and I can not imagine teachers lasting very long that deciplined students in that way. My wife, came from Chicago but taught in several of our one room schools in the mountains. She was the PE teacher and traveled to 6 schools each week. The teachers that she ran accross in those schools were some of the best in our district.

      I own a 1886 school house in Southeastern Colorado, the Wild Horse Creek School. I plan to restore it as a one room school. My Father's brother and sisters all grew up in the old school. It was part of the family homestead from 1920. The school was built with money from a school fund that grew from Maverick sales that followed the Spring and Fall roundups.

      I wish I had had the pleasure of teaching in a one room school; although, I cannot complain about those that I taught in during my career. Luck or not I ran in to very many mean teachers that lasted very long.

      Regards,

      Darell

      From: "itstheoz" <itstheoz@...>
      most older people i talked to that went to a one room school there
      teacher was mean,this man i was talking to said the teacher would walk
      past them at random and smack ther hand with a ruler wile they were
      doing nothing wrong and the teacher would say thats what you get for
      when you were doing somthing bad and i did not see you, or they would
      get a beating for somthing minor the kid would go home and tell there
      parents then there parents would spank them again for being bad in
      school, or if they goofed off they would have to sit in the front of
      the class with a dunce cap on,or stand in the corner with a stack of
      books in there hands till they cryed with pain, or if they had to go to
      the bathroom the teacher would tell them no you should have gone before
      class started then they would wet there pants or dress, look at all the
      old one room class pictures most of them all had one or two kids with
      wet pants, but there was a few nice teachers kids were lucky to have
      them.