research question

  • cshmurak
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      Can anyone tell me about the sschool calendar for towns in Kansas in
      1882-1883? Specifically, when did the school year begin and when did
      it end? And what holidays or vacations were there? If anyone can give
      me some info on this, I'd really appreciate it. Anything close will do
      as well: nearby states or other years in the 1880s. This is for a work
      of young adult historical fiction, and I like to be as accurate as
      possible. I can't find this on any websites so far.

      Thank you!

      Carole Shmurak
      writing as Carroll Thomas

      cshmurak@...
    • Carole Shmurak
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
        No one seemed to have the answer to my previous question about school
        calendar, but I'm going to try a different question:

        Does anyone know, or know where I could find out, what the curriculum would
        have been like in a one room schoolhouse in Kansas or nearby states in the
        1880s?

        Thanks for any help.

        Carole Shmurak

        writing as Carroll Thomas
        The Matty Trescott YA series
        http://www.MattyTrescott.com
      • Michael Mescher
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2008
          I don't know how accurate the reference would be but Laura Ingalls Wilder
          went to school and taught in a rural school in the 1880s. You might want
          to check in her books for the information that you seek. I have been told
          by several historians that they are very accurate accounts of the lives at
          the time periods that she wrote about.

          Also, a check on Google books might turn up something.

          Virginia Mescher

          At 07:58 PM 10/8/2008, you wrote:

          >No one seemed to have the answer to my previous question about school
          >calendar, but I'm going to try a different question:
          >
          >Does anyone know, or know where I could find out, what the curriculum would
          >have been like in a one room schoolhouse in Kansas or nearby states in the
          >1880s?
          >
          >Thanks for any help.
          >
          >Carole Shmurak
          >
          >writing as Carroll Thomas
          >The Matty Trescott YA series
          ><http://www.MattyTrescott.com>http://www.MattyTrescott.com

          mmescher1@...
          Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and
          Vintage Volumes at:
          http://www.raggedsoldier.com
          http://www.vintagevolumes.com
        • Pamela Stover
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2008
            Carole,

            Have you checked the Kansas One-Room School homepage? There is a ton
            of info there.

            Also, I used the state rural curriculum guide from the 1920s (I
            believe) when I was writing my dissertation. Have you checked to see
            if there is one available for the 1880s? It is is little early for
            such a document from the state, but it is worth a try.

            There might be a nugget in the Federal Education reports or the
            report of the state superintendent.

            Finally, I was surprised to find that some states had the state
            curriculum/schedule/calendar printed in the teacher's plan books. I
            found some in Iowa from the 1900s. Have you checked county or state
            historical societies to see if they have the reports from the County
            Superintendents?

            School documentation from before 1890 in the midwest is hard to
            find. I know that Paul Haack did research about Kansas in music in
            one-room schools in the 1800s. I believe that he was the lead
            researcher for the Kansas team on Andrew Guilford's grant project.
            Much of his work was published in Guilford's "America's Country
            Schools".

            Just some tidbits off the top of my head that I hope will help.

            All the best!

            Pam Stover

            On Oct 8, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Carole Shmurak wrote:

            > No one seemed to have the answer to my previous question about school
            > calendar, but I'm going to try a different question:
            >
            > Does anyone know, or know where I could find out, what the
            > curriculum would
            > have been like in a one room schoolhouse in Kansas or nearby states
            > in the
            > 1880s?
            >
            > Thanks for any help.
            >
            > Carole Shmurak
            >
            > writing as Carroll Thomas
            > The Matty Trescott YA series
            > http://www.MattyTrescott.com

            Dr. Pamela Stover
            Coordinator of Music Education and Assistant Professor
            School of Music, Southern Illinois University Carbondale--Mailcode 4302
            Carbondale, Illinois 62901-4302

            (618) 453-5814 (office)
            (618) 453-5808 (fax)
            pstover@...

            Chair, Research Advisory Panel, the American Orff-Schulwerk Association
            Attend the 2008 AOSA National Conference: Patschwerk of Possibilities
            in Charlotte, NC November 12-15, 2008
            Learn more at www.aosa.org

          • Carole Shmurak
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
              Thanks to all who gave me suggestions as to where to look. I'm going to
              track down those sources and sites.