Standard School

  • Richard K. Lewis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
      We recently received a question of what makes a one room school
      a "Standard School"? This question is from Sally Johnson, Bowne
      Township Historical Society, Alto, Michigan. (srjohnson4@...)

      I think in Iowa there were school "standards", and if you met them you
      received recognition in the form of a plaque or medallion. Maybe
      Michigan also had "state standards" and if you met them, you were
      considered a "standard school".

      Can anyone help with this question or where they can research it?

      Thanks
      Richard Lewis
      CSAA
    • suthoff@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
        I think at the moment Bill Sherman is the expert on Standard Schools and I
        think he will probably respond and can probably give lots more detail and
        information on sources. However, in a nutshell, standard school programs were
        set up in several states as a way to improve one-room schools. If you met a
        certain set of standards as defined by the law in each individual state, you
        were made a standard school. Normally you got some sort of plaque that you
        could display saying you were a standard school. You also normally got some
        extra money for the school and in some states for teacher salaries. However,
        the state legislatures never appropriated enough money to fund the program to
        the level in needed to be to have full effect. (Sound familiar?) It was
        successful enough in some states that different levels were created so after
        you had made standard school, you could try for the next level up.

        Sarah S. Uthoff

        > We recently received a question of what makes a one room school
        > a "Standard School"? This question is from Sally Johnson, Bowne
        > Township Historical Society, Alto, Michigan. (srjohnson4@...)
        >
        > I think in Iowa there were school "standards", and if you met them you
        > received recognition in the form of a plaque or medallion. Maybe
        > Michigan also had "state standards" and if you met them, you were
        > considered a "standard school".
        >
        > Can anyone help with this question or where they can research it?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Richard Lewis
        > CSAA

      • Langs
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
          I e-mailed Bill Sherman (who heads up the Iowa Country School Conference and authored a book about Iowa's Country Schools) with this question about Iowa's Standard Schools. He wrote back:

          "The standard school program started in Iowa in 1920 and ran through 1949. There are ledgers at the state historical scoiety that list schools by county by year that qualified as standard schools."

          I have a copy of Iowa's 1928 "Standardization of Rural Schools" issued by the DPI.

          Julie Lang

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hi, Richard,
            Illinois had standard schools too. During the Progressive Era, a number of influential educators started a movement to improve rural schools: they addressed sanitation, proper light and heating, potable water, outhouses that were kept clean, etc. Those schools that met the standards received a plaque and usually had a big celebration, including the entire community associated with the school. The person who has done a good deal of research on this issue is Bill Sherman. He'd love to tell you more, I'm sure.
            Lucy

            >>> "Richard K. Lewis" <richard.lewis@...> 08/01/08 9:02 AM >>>
            We recently received a question of what makes a one room school
            a "Standard School"? This question is from Sally Johnson, Bowne
            Township Historical Society, Alto, Michigan. (srjohnson4@...)

            I think in Iowa there were school "standards", and if you met them you
            received recognition in the form of a plaque or medallion. Maybe
            Michigan also had "state standards" and if you met them, you were
            considered a "standard school".

            Can anyone help with this question or where they can research it?

            Thanks
            Richard Lewis
            CSAA

          • Bill & Faith Sherman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2008
              Hi--the standard school program operated in some form in at least 34
              states. Some states implemented the program with legislation and others by
              administrative rules through the Dept of Education (Michigan was one of
              those). If you want to send me a fax # (woman from Michigan) I can send you
              a 1914 flyer that describes the Michigan program.
              --

              Bill & Faith Sherman
              3928 Twana Drive

              wsherman@...