Re: [oneroom] Spencerian Writing

  • Robert Goodman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2008
      What I'm specifically looking for are the small cards which were on their desks for reference. When at the One-Room Schoolhouse conference this past fall, I learned that this card had just a few of the letters on it, and was on a very heavy/durable paper. The country schools, who didn't have the money for copy books, would likely be the ones using them.

      PMcMillion@... wrote: You can order the theory book and all five practice books from this site.? I suggest you do that since it gives you the entire curriculum.

      http://www.amazon.com/Spencerian-Penmanship-Theory-Book-copybooks/dp/088062096X

      Pat McMillion
      Burritt on the Mountain - A Living History Museum
      Huntsville, Alabama? 35801-1220

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
        If I were in your situation I would make my own using a computer and cardstock.? You could find a teacher who knows Spencerian and ask him/her to make an alphabet for you.? Then, you could scan and print your own for very little money.? I purchased several fonts that are very close to Spencerian and already have them on my computer.

        Pat McMillion

      • PMcMillion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
          I don't know why my computer is putting a question mark at the end of sentences.? Believe me, I didn't do it!

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
            I took a course in writing Spencerian Script from Michael R. Sull. He has published a number of books with directions and practice of this old style. His address is:
            3520 75th St. Suite 100 Prairie Village, KS, 66208 Ph 913-362-7864.

            He is a part of a group of Master Writers from an old svchool that used to teach script writing. You had to attend this school and pass an examination in writing to become a Master Penman. He calls himself The Lettering Design Group.

            Since I have taken several other classes from these Master Writers (my hobby is calligraphy) I know they use pens unique to their writing style called an oblique pen. I believe these are available to purchase through stores that handle calligraphy supplies. They are designed with a tilted pen point so you can see your work as you write.

            I am so glad you are teaching something about writing...penmanship is neglected in schools today and the scribbles I see in adults attest to their poor writing habits.

            Fay Stone

          • PMcMillion@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
              To the first person who requested Spencerian information.,
              I have a good friend here in Huntsville who write Spencerian beautifully.
              She and her husband were both teachers until her husband was rear-ended while
              stopped for a school bus...leaving him a paraplegic. Now, she earns a little
              extra by doing Spencerian writing. She said she would make your any cards
              you need for free. Just let me know what you need...size, etc.

              Pat McMillion
              Burritt on the Mountain - A Living History Museum
              Huntsville, Alabama 35801-1220

              Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

            • Robert Goodman
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
                What a generous offer. I would love to take you up on that as soon as I can validate exactly what the cards looked like, size, number of letters on each, upper case, lower case, etc. I did send an e-mail to the Master Penman group, hoping they might be able to give me those historic details. I am also checking at the local university library for any 1870's school supply catalogs or other sources in which they might have a picture and/or description. When I have a historically accurate description, I can proceed to the making of the cards. May I get back to you at that point?

                Judy

                PMcMillion@... wrote: To the first person who requested Spencerian information.,
                I have a good friend here in Huntsville who write Spencerian beautifully.
                She and her husband were both teachers until her husband was rear-ended while
                stopped for a school bus...leaving him a paraplegic. Now, she earns a little
                extra by doing Spencerian writing. She said she would make your any cards
                you need for free. Just let me know what you need...size, etc.

                Pat McMillion
                Burritt on the Mountain - A Living History Museum
                Huntsville, Alabama 35801-1220

                Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)

                "I tremble for my country when I recall that God is just,
                and His justice will not sleep forever."

                -Thomas Jefferson
                between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

              • PMcMillion@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2008
                  That will be great. Just let me know the particulars when you have them. I
                  will be out of town the week of May 10, and the middle of June. I should be
                  home the remainder of the summer.

                  Pat McMillion
                  Burritt on the Mountain - A Living Museum
                  Huntsville, Alabama 35801

                  Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)