Interior School Colors

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2008
      Hi all...A question: A group in Hooksett, NH is about to begin the
      interior color choice for their schoolhouse. They were wondering if I
      knew anyone who had some ideas for authenticity. Their school dates
      from 1839 to 1912. My school wainscoting is dove grey, but I've seen
      pale blue also. Any thoughts or suggestions? While you're reading,
      check out the two new articles on the newsletter. www.csaa.typepad.com.
      Thanks for your suggestions.
    • Leigh Ann Randak
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2008
        We did a paint analysis on our 1876 school and the recommended colors developed from that were a darkish gray for the wainscoting and a bluish gray for the walls.

        Leigh Ann

        > Hi all...A question: A group in Hooksett, NH is about to begin the
        > interior color choice for their schoolhouse. They were wondering if I
        > knew anyone who had some ideas for authenticity. Their school dates
        > from 1839 to 1912. My school wainscoting is dove grey, but I've seen
        > pale blue also. Any thoughts or suggestions? While you're reading,
        > check out the two new articles on the newsletter. www.csaa.typepad.com.
        > Thanks for your suggestions.

        Leigh Ann Randak
        Curator
        Johnson County Historical Society
        319-351-5738
        leighann@...
      • Langs
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2008
          The original paint color at our 1913 school was slate green.
          Julie

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2008
            Our one-room schoolhouse has been restored to its 1889 appearance and
            paint analysis conculded that the wainscotting was a yellow color, and
            the walls were covered in a yellow and white wallpaper. In fact, the
            walls of our schoolhouse were always wallpapered. We had a
            reproduction wallpaper made to match the pattern from the paper that
            was determined to have been the exposed layer during our interpretive
            time period.