Family/child activity ideas

  • skippen2
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2008
      This may or may not pertain to your sites but ideas much appreciated
      if it does!

      We're looking to write a grant to furnish a space in our gallery-
      style history museum as an education room for families and children.
      We hope to provide ~3-4 main actvities all the time and change them
      out seasonally--every few months.

      I suspect we'll target young families with infants-age 7 + - but we
      do want to have at least one activity for older kids, too.

      What are some "hits" in rooms/areas like this in your museums as far
      as activities as well as furiture? What about pioneer themed pc
      games? Where have you found to be good places to order historical
      themed toys/games from...that are sturdy? Any other hints for a
      basically self-service room like this?

      Thanks very much :)

      Sheryl Kippen, Education Coordinator City of Greeley Museums
      sheryl.kippen@...
    • Michael Mescher
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
        If you go to our website, www.raggedsoldier.com, you will find a complete
        selection of reproduction toys and games from the19th century. We also
        have a number of books, both in the reproduction and modern book section
        that have children's activities in them. We are in the process of adding
        documentation for each of the items that we carry but it is a slow process
        and is taking longer than we expected. The research is done but adding
        each item to our extensive selection takes time.

        My husband specializes in children's activities and may be able to answer
        any specific question that you may have. Please feel free to contact us if
        you have additional questions.

        Virginia Mescher

        >What are some "hits" in rooms/areas like this in your museums as far
        >as activities as well as furiture? What about pioneer themed pc
        >games? Where have you found to be good places to order historical
        >themed toys/games from...that are sturdy? Any other hints for a
        >basically self-service room like this?
        >
        >Thanks very much :)
        >
        >Sheryl Kippen, Education Coordinator City of Greeley Museums

        mmescher1@...
        Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and
        Vintage Volumes at:
        http://www.raggedsoldier.com
        http://www.vintagevolumes.com
      • Mike & Sue Day
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
          You should look at www.clippership-publications.com for reproductions of schoolbooks and children's literature from the early to mid-19th century.

          Mike

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Mescher
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2008
            At 04:19 PM 2/6/2008, you wrote:

            >You should look at www.clippership-publications.com for reproductions of
            >schoolbooks and children's literature from the early to mid-19th century.
            >
            >Mike

            If anyone is looking for reproduction schoolbooks, we have a fairly large
            selection of them. The complete set of McGuffey's, a selection of Ray's
            Arithmetic, Spencerian copybooks, as well as an adult instruction book, The
            American Speller (Webster's Blue-Backed Speller), and a Chiild's First
            Aritmetic Book. They may be found at
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com/schoolsupplies.html.

            Virginia Mescher

            mmescher1@...
            Visit Ragged Soldier Sutlery and
            Vintage Volumes at:
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com
            http://www.vintagevolumes.com
          • Fay Stone
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
              I taught in a one room school for many years, and am trying to remember what we did on rainy days indoors, as I assume you want to do in your museum.

              We often played Eraser tag...children sat in their desks, passing an eraser overhead backwards down the line. The last person ran to the front desk, everyone moved back a seat, and the first row to get back to their original places wins. Of course, you need rows of seats or chairs to play.

              We did knitting, and made ropes of knitting by winding yarn around nails on the top of a spool, which we sewed into hot pads. You can also get small weaving sets, too.

              One activiy that any age can enjoy is clay work. Here's a good recipe for home made:

              KIDS BEST CLAY - Easy to use and wash up after.
              2 Cups flour 1/2 Cup salt 3/4 cup water
              Mix and knead to form soft clay. Enougn for 2 - 3 kids. Wrap in ziplok bag to keep.
              Use a rolling pin to flatten, using corn starch to keep it from sticking. Use cookie cutters, or make wreaths, flowers, baskets or whatever. Poke a small hole into something you might want to hang. When you have something you want to keep, bake at 275 for 2 1/2 hours. Last 15 min, brush with oleo to give rich brown color. Or, if you wish, omit oleo, and after baking paint with poster colors. These will be quite hard and pemanent.

              I realize this might be a two day project, or the child can take his project home on a paper plate with baking instructions.I suppose overnight air drying might work, too.

              Another fun project is finger painting. We made our own, since they can be expensive.

              HOME MADE FINGER PAINTS
              1 envelope unflavored gelatin 1 cup cold water 1/2 cup liquid starch
              2 cups hot water 1/2 cup soap granules or flakes food coloring

              Soften gelatin in a bit of cold water, set aside. Combine laundry starch with remaining cold water, in a small pan, add hot water and ok over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a ful;l boil and has become completely thickened.remove from heat and stir in softened gelatin. Add soap flakes and stirr until completely dissolved. Add food coloring or paint to all or part of the mix till desired color is obtained. Add no more than a tablespoonful to a recipe. Store in covered containers. Makes about three cups. Recipe may be multiplied

              Glass painting might be fun for older students. We used small squares (about 8x10) of window glass. You paint your design--flowers, birds, etc.directly on the glass, keeping in mind that you will be looking at the reverse side when finished. It's fun to try to remember to put the details in first. Cover the edges with electrician's tape and use a twist of tape to hang it by.

              Painting designs on rocks was another favorite idea. If you have a place, its even better if the children find their own rocks first.

              I liked to read a favorite children's poem, and then have the children illustrate some part of the poem. Interesting to see what they choose to draw and have them tell about it.

              Making your own scrap book, with construction paper and brass spread apart pins is fun. You will want to have a hole punch. You can even use yarn to sew them together. Use tapestry needles, they aren't too sharp.

              We made bracelets of paper clips hooked together and each one wound with a different color yarn.

              How about making home made bean bags? Simple squares of cloth they could sew together and fill with beans.

              As you can tell, we had to use home made because it was cheaper, but that was part of the fun, too. I often used this as a measuring lesson for math!

              There are probably lots of other ideas and certainly you can purchase replicas of old game toys. Most of them were for outdoors, though. Good luck. Fay Stone

            • Casey Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2008
                Thanks Fay,

                What wonderfull suggestions! I jotted a bunch down to remember when we
                have fourth graders at our schoolhouse this spring!