Re: [oneroom] Re:Teaching Arithmetic

  • Lucy Townsend
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2007
      Langs,
      Thanks for these excellent suggestions about teaching arithmetic.
      Lucy Townsend

      >>> "Langs" <lang@...> 11/15/07 5:40 PM >>>
      We do 5 hour 1913 reenactments for all of the 4th grade classes in our county (and home schoolers). The pupils pretend to be in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or 6th grades for the day. For arithmetic I have three 15 minute periods.The 1st and 2nd graders do hands on activities (in 10 to 15 minute periods)--domino addition and box addition problems on their slateboards. When we meet, I give them oral problems to do on their slates from Elements of Arithmetic. Third graders do blackboard subtraction. When we meet I show them how to use reproduction catalogs and assign them to pretend they have $5.00 to spend on gifts for their family. They record name of item, page number, cost and who bought for. This is their seatwork. When I meet with the 5th and 6th graders I teach a Roman numerals lesson from Complete Arithmetic. We also use a chart I made. For their seatwork they do the text assignment.For their other seatwork assignment they do Multiplication and didvion board problems. I use the !
      same problems for the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th grades. I put the problems on the board without the add, subtract, mult or div signs. I tell them which problems to do. Like:

      5 14 24 37 50 79
      4 7 6 29 44 63

      The Arithmetic texts we use are the ones used in our school in 1913. I had a few of the texts but went online and purchased most of them-they were pretty cheap-I think about $5 each. All our activities are either from the texts actually used or from teacher's books from 1913 or shortly before. Luckilly, our records show that classes were sometimes grouped together for lessons, which makes it easier for our 5 hour day compared to their 7 hour day.