Re:1913 Country School

  • Fay Stone
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 28, 2007
      Forgot to write about the inkwells. I don't know about not having them in the early 1900's. Our school has desks from that era, and the larger desks all have inlkwells. They were never in the smaller desks, as the little children had to make do with slate pencils. Getting to use real ink was special, and not allowed until about fourth grade. Spillage was the main concern, as well as caring for steel pen nibs.
      Our desks are the individual seats, though, and I don't know about the old double seats.

      I have seen a school desk inkwell or two in antique shops, though no often.

      Fay Stone

    • kmledin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 29, 2007
        One of the past managers of the Hay Lake Schoolhouse painted over
        one of the chalkboards too. She just went to a local home depot and
        bought paint that was named "chalkboard black" or something like
        that. I didn't really like it, it's hard to write on, and even
        harder to erase.
        -Katie

        --- In oneroom@yahoogroups.com, "Esther Carroll" <lcarroll@...>
        wrote:

        > We in WV have real slate for our chalkboards too. I give them a
        good dose of Dark Walnut Mimwax. Nice finish and it still accepts
        chalk.
        > Esther Carroll lcarroll@... www.neweraoneroomschool.com

        to it's original appearance is almost done. (Whew!) So after raising
        and spending $60,000 I'm working on reenactment curriculum. I've got
        a few questions for the more experienced "country schoolers".

        > 1. Where can I find ink bottles to fit in the 1 1/4 inch holes
        in our student desks? I've tried online and locally for a year.

        > 2. I can't find evidence that alphabet cards were common on the
        walls of country schools in 1913. (I've seen photos of them on
        > walls later.) Anyone have a source for this?
        >
        > 3. I sanded the slate boards on the walls with fine sandpaper,
        washed and chalked it, but they still look very dull. Would they
        have
        > been dull and faded looking originally? If not, how can I
        darken them?

        > Culter and Stone's 1913 The Rural School has been a wonderful
        resource.

        > Your advice is appreciated!
        > Julie

      • hickorystick1830
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2007
          Julie,

          Seems like you've hit on a popular subject with your 1913 project. Of
          all the many ink bottles we have in our museum's collection, the only
          ones that would fit your measurements are clear glass with Bakelite caps
          marked "American Seating Comapny." Good Luck

          Dennis
          --- In oneroom@yahoogroups.com, "Langs" <lang@...> wrote:

          > Dennis,
          > I would appreciate it if you would measure to see if any would fit in
          the 1 1/4 inch hole.I'd think the bottle would need a lip, to keep it in
          the hole.
          > Thanks,
          > Julie

          One
          > of my staff lives in a house from the 1860s that was owned by a
          teacher
          > and when he did work on the there he found a stash of ink bottles of
          > variuos types as well as slate pencils and a master ink. They were the
          > "turtle" style as well as umbrella style bottles. He donated them to
          > our museum. Would you like me to measure up some of those?
          >
          > Dennis
          > --- In oneroom@yahoogroups.com, "Langs" lang@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Dennis,
          > > Yep, I check e-bay often-I even got a few ink bottles that I thought
          > might work , and didn't. I don't know which kind of bottle I need-only
          > that it needs to fit in a 1 1/4 inch hole in the desk. I'd like at
          least
          > one to show the kids.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Julie

          7/25/2007 1:16 AM

        • Langs
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2007
            Thanks Dennis, I'll keep trying E-Bay. Julie
            Seems like you've hit on a popular subject with your 1913 project. Of
            all the many ink bottles we have in our museum's collection, the only
            ones that would fit your measurements are clear glass with Bakelite caps
            marked "American Seating Comapny." Good Luck

            Dennis
            --- In oneroom@yahoogroups.com, "Langs" <lang@...> wrote:

            > Dennis,
            > I would appreciate it if you would measure to see if any would fit in
            the 1 1/4 inch hole.I'd think the bottle would need a lip, to keep it in
            the hole.
            > Thanks,
            > Julie

            7/25/2007 1:16 AM