Active one-room schoolhouses

  • kmledin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2007
      Does anyone know of one-room schoolhouses that are still being used
      for educational purposes--still being used as schools??
      I'm curious as to what schoolhouses are still schools today,
      specifically in the Midwest (MN, ND, WI, IA, SD, etc.)
      I know of one schoolhouse way up by the Canadian border in Minnesota,
      and one in rural south dakota that I just stumbled across about 5
      minutes ago.
      Btw, if anyone's licensed to teach English and Social Studies, they're
      looking for a rural teacher (oh, I wish I was licensed in English!!)
    • Sharon Cook
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2007
        There are several one-room schools in Iowa that are still operating in the Amish community near Hazelton, Iowa, for example.
        Does anyone know of one-room schoolhouses that are still being used
        for educational purposes--still being used as schools??
        I'm curious as to what schoolhouses are still schools today,
        specifically in the Midwest (MN, ND, WI, IA, SD, etc.)
        I know of one schoolhouse way up by the Canadian border in Minnesota,
        and one in rural south dakota that I just stumbled across about 5
        minutes ago.
        Btw, if anyone's licensed to teach English and Social Studies, they're
        looking for a rural teacher (oh, I wish I was licensed in English!!)

      • Caroline Bredekamp
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
          Iowa has a few active one-rrom schoolhouse. There are
          no public oneroom schools in operation (all closed by
          end of school year 1966) but the ones that are open
          today are either Amish or Mennonite.

        • dhavran@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
            You may find this of interest if you are doing educational programs. The grandfather of my son's wife talked about Prohibition in Carroll county, Iowa shortly before his death. There was a substantial amount of bootlegging going on in Carroll county. One of the favorite places to hide the locally manufactured alcohol was in the attics of the one room school houses.

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Carol VanDeest
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
              Schools still in operation can be found on the One-Room Schoolhouse Center website at:

              http://www2.johnstown.k12.oh.us/cornell/inoperation.html

              I will add any other one-room schools that are still in operation if you send me the URL.

              Carol Van Deest
              One-Room Schoolhouse Center Web Coordinator

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 18, 2007
                I love your website, I've been going there for awhile now, thanks
                for the link! I wanted to let you know that there are a few more
                rural schools in ND that are still in operation, but they are two-
                room schoolhouses.
                Fairburn School
                Spring Creek School

                These are the schools I found through a site that lists teaching
                jobs available. If anyone is licensed K-8 or 4-8. they're looking
                for teachers.
                -Katie

                --- In oneroom@yahoogroups.com, "Carol VanDeest" <cvandeest@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 20, 2007
                  Katie,

                  If the two-room schoolhouses you listed have websites I will be glad to add them to my list of America's Schoolhouses.

                  Carol

                  wrote:

                  > Schools still in operation can be found on the One-Room
                  Schoolhouse Center website at:

                  > http://www2.johnstown.k12.oh.us/cornell/inoperation.html
                  >
                  > I will add any other one-room schools that are still in operation
                  if you send me the URL.

                  > Carol Van Deest
                  > One-Room Schoolhouse Center Web Coordinator
                  > http://www2.johnstown.k12.oh.us/cornell/

                • Fay Stone
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 23, 2007
                    There are several one room schools in our area (southwest Wisconsin) that are run by Amish.
                     I taught in the last one room school in the middle west, and it closed in 1989 for lack of students. Fermi Lab was on our south border, and DuPage County airport on our north. These entities continually took up our land and therefore our student attendees.
                    Before closing and retiring, I got that school (McAuley) listed on the National Register of Historic Places, hence I did some research to locate any others in the neighboring states, and found none.
                    There is a museum (Pioneer Sholes School) which operates as though one is attending a one room school in LeRoy Oaks Forest Preserve near St Charles, Ill.If interested, the web site is www.pioneersholesschool.org
                    Teaching in a one room school is such a unique, and enterprising way to teach that I stayed for 30 years!                                                            Fay Stone
                  • Lynn Thornton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 11, 2007
                      Here in Northern New York there are many Mennonite one room schools
                      (very similar to the Amish). It is fascinating to go by and see the
                      girls in simple long dresses and head coverings and the boys in shirts
                      and black pants playing on the playrground during recess. As a retired
                      4th grade teacher, I have often been tempted to stop and talk with the
                      teacher, but am not sure of the protocol.
                      Lynn
                    • Annie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
                        Hello!  In my local area there are Mennonites also.  There used to be a small Mennonite college on the old west-side of town.  I think they sold some land - there were quite a few famlies living there - still are.  I see families at the Goodwill store on that side of town, plus in Wendy's Hamburgers!!  I think they are scattered throughout the area, and have some history there- I walk my dogs often at a park where many used to congregate & have softball games  sometimes, but haven't seen many this year.  (Probably I am going at a time they are busy doing other things.)  The kids do have their own school, but lately there is a sign up stating their have classes and day care (?) I think.  The sign is up for the public to view - it is off a side street in the historic area, and the school is a small building, not a one-room or anything. == As far as protocol, I would think you could just ask, altho they might say no (going inside the one-room school). == When young & married, my husband in those days did some handyman work for several of the older couples!! He was paid cash immediately every time - I remember that. So they do go outside their circle when necessary.
                      • kmledin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 29, 2007
                          I figured that any ones that were still open were Mennonite
                          communities. Apparently there is still a one-room schoolhouse active
                          in the upper tip of Minnesota, used as a multi-grade school by the
                          local community (non-Mennonite). A couple of schools were also still
                          using them in Northwestern Minnesota up until the 1990s, but I guess
                          the one-room schoolhouse really is a thing of the past.