Mentoring programs?

  • skippen2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25 9:52 AM
      Hello!

      Do any of your schools/programs do any type of mentoring programs among
      volunteers?

      I very much want to start one with our Jr. Volunteers--teens 12-18--
      especially for the younger ones. I hope to pair a younger or 1st year
      volunteer with one that's volunteered for @ least one year, hopefully a
      teen quite a bit older than the other.

      Our teens are very busy so are not ones to attend socials or parties or
      (m)any sort of "you must do this" get togethers, even trainings. How
      might we encourage them to be in touch and work together @ our events,
      etc. and for it to be THEIR thing, and an enjoyable one, and not ours?
      Any ideas appreciated :)

      Thanks much,
      Sheryl Kippen, City of Greeley Museums Greeley CO
      970-350-9275 sheryl.kippen@...
    • Picard, Dennis
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25 10:17 AM

        We have had a junior volunteers program in place for over 18 years. Junior or senior they still are dealing with the visiting public so they MUST make a commitment to the programs which therefore included ALL training meetings.  We have never had any serious problems of any type with our “juniors” even though I have heard horror stories from other sites in the area.  I believe this is due to how we approach them as members of the volunteer staff and make our expectations very clear from the beginning – which includes and initial interview.  Juniors are not just space fillers especially in the eyes of our visitors.  They are placed in a position of authority and that requires them to answer the same questions as someone five, ten or forty years older than they.  Only half jokingly: I’m not sure paring them with some of the older “jaded” volunteers we’ve had in the past would be the best example for any new volunteer

        Dennis D. Picard

        970-350-9275 sheryl.kippen@ greeleygov. com

      • ksamela@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26 6:36 AM
          Hi Sheryl,

          We have had the good fortune to have a college intern for now the second year in a row.  An history major, and quick study, she very readily absorbed the factual information.  We placed her in charge of all Junior Docents (14 - 18 years old), and the kids really responded to her.  She's very cool, while also being a good listener so that the group clustered around her.

          We didn't really think of it as a mentoring program, but in retrospect realize that it was (is) one.  The Jr. Docents began calling early on, but are still in school, so we haven't really gotten started with summer program activities yet.  Our little staff, along with our intern, is very busy finishing up our school groups for the season.  We hope for the same kind of magical chemistry that we were blessed with last year.

          Good luck with your new endeavor!

          Kathy Samela

          See what's free at AOL.com.
        • Fay Stone
          Message 4 of 4 , May 26 9:40 AM
            The Pioneere Sholes School Museum had junior docents. for more Information, see

            Fay Stone