Re: Happy Arbor Day!

  • Fay Stone
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2007
      In the one room school where I taught for thirty years, we always celebrated Arbor Day. It was tree planting time and we always did something special.

      One year we planted two upright Junipers on either side of the front porch. We planted a small flowering crab one year, and a shade tree another.  All choices and reasons for them were determined by the children, as well as the purchasing (with their money) the planting and the care which followed.

      This was really the finale of a Springtime effort to learn about plants, their needs, care, etc.This lead to many other activites such as leaf collections, studies of growth, demands of plants and their groth zone, etc. There were side learnings about latitiude and its affect on plants, the water cycle, plants of different environments, and more.

      One reason we made such a big deal of it is that I learned early that major teaching was done by the end of March. After that we had to do more active and outside learnings...they were eager to be outside.

                                                                                             Fay Stone