Re: New file uploaded to oneroom

  • Scfineman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2007
      Hello:
          I am very impressed at the extent of Casey Smith's summer camp program and only wish we could offer this is in Nashua, NH. Who carries the insurance? Our school sits in the middle of a cemetery and is technically owned by the cemetery commission. A benevolent society maintains the schoolhouse and pays the teacher (me) to run the living history program for all 4th graders in our city during the school year. We have been using the schoolhouse since 1976 on a wink and a long-standing hand-shake agreement. As much as we'd love to try a similar program in the summer, when the school is NOT utilized, the ensuing liabilities would probably stand in our way. Any thoughts on this?
          Your summer programs are fantastic!!!!
          If any readers of this message haven't visited the Country School Association e-newsletter, please do so at your leisure. You'll find information on the CSAA conference in Nashua, NH, June 18-20, 2007.
      Susan Fineman
      Schoolmarm

    • Casey Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2007
        Our schoolhouse is part of a state-run historic site
        (www.lorenzony.org), so we are insured through the state. However,
        for some activities we host (ie. sleigh rides to the schoolhouse at
        Christmas), our Friends group is our insurance carrier. It is nice
        to have the Friends group available as some vendors we use for
        different programs are hestitant to participate in events on state
        grounds, or sometimes their own insurance won't cover them, or if
        they are covered it is at a higher rate because they are dealing
        with the state.

        I understand that insurance can be a hurdle, but in general our
        program is very inexpensive to run. We rely on the generosity of the
        community for almost all of our activities. The quilter and
        basketmaker who participate donate their services and materials and
        we pay the candlemaker only for her supplies, which is $1.50 per
        student. When we go on our mini-field trips, we have refreshments
        donated, and we visit a lot of places in our community that do not
        charge a fee. Since the basics are covered, I have money left over
        to purchase fun items, such as small chalk boards (in lieu of slate
        boards), etc. for the campers.

        Please let me know if there are any other questions. This is a great
        discussion topic!
      • Lucy Townsend
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2007
          Casey,
          Sleigh ride to the school? What a marvelous idea.
          Lucy Townsend

          >>> "Casey Smith" <casey.smith@...> 03/14/07 12:43 PM >>>
          Our schoolhouse is part of a state-run historic site
          (www.lorenzony.org), so we are insured through the state. However,
          for some activities we host (ie. sleigh rides to the schoolhouse at
          Christmas), our Friends group is our insurance carrier. It is nice
          to have the Friends group available as some vendors we use for
          different programs are hestitant to participate in events on state
          grounds, or sometimes their own insurance won't cover them, or if
          they are covered it is at a higher rate because they are dealing
          with the state.

          I understand that insurance can be a hurdle, but in general our
          program is very inexpensive to run. We rely on the generosity of the
          community for almost all of our activities. The quilter and
          basketmaker who participate donate their services and materials and
          we pay the candlemaker only for her supplies, which is $1.50 per
          student. When we go on our mini-field trips, we have refreshments
          donated, and we visit a lot of places in our community that do not
          charge a fee. Since the basics are covered, I have money left over
          to purchase fun items, such as small chalk boards (in lieu of slate
          boards), etc. for the campers.

          Please let me know if there are any other questions. This is a great
          discussion topic!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Casey Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2007
            To say sleigh rides is a little misleading during a winter in
            Upstate New York that has been very mild. We have limited parking at
            the schoolhouse, so we offered sleigh rides from our main site,
            which sadly had to be turned into hay rides, as there was no snow!
            The rides were the only way people could access the schoolhouse
            during our Christmas by Candlelight and our Christmas Family Day. It
            worked out quite well logistically!

            We had around 30 people participate in the hay ride on candlelight
            night, which was a good number considering it was misting outside
            and the hay ride was given in the dark on a December night! Those
            who participated loved it, however. They said the night sky was
            beautiful and it was such an unusual experience to be out in the
            country in an open wagon at night.

            We had a wonderful number of parents and children take the hay ride
            the next day (also in the misting rain) to participate in our make-
            and-take button ornament program. We had rave reviews of the ride
            that day too.

            This was the first time that our schoolhouse has been open at
            Christmas. We had a wonderful program that I would be happy to share
            with anyone who is considering a Christmas open house.
          • Lucy Townsend
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14, 2007
              Casey:
              All of this sounds just great! I am hoping we can sponsor a hay ride ourselves next fall.
              Lucy Townsend