Slateboard Paint?

  • Langs
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
      In Marshall County, Iowa we're renovating a one room school back to it's original 1913 appearance so we can do reenactments. Our slateboard (on two walls) is very dull and discolored. We're thinking about putting chalkboard paint on it. Has anyone done this? If so, were you happy with it? How does it look after several years?
      Thanks,
      Julie
    • Fay Stone
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2006
        Dear Langs,

        Slateboard paint is a poor substitute for real slate. If your boards are real slate, as mine were in my one room school, they can be reground to restore their finish. I had this done a number of years ago, and it removed the old dull, chalk and debris finish, giving them a whole new finish. The stone (slate) was actually sanded away. I don't know who does this work anymore, but a good carpenter craftsman should be able to do it. Take care to NOT use circular sanders (grinding) or it may leave circles ground into the stone. Good luck!                                                        Fay Stone
      • Richard K. Lewis
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2006
          Fay, if their schoolhouse had painted walls as blackboards, then they
          don't have much choice but to restore it correctly. Slate is much
          better, but historical accuracy is important.

          Langs, If you don't know what your schoolhouse had, look for screw
          holes, glue (tar) glob remnants or paint residue that would tell you
          what was up there and where it was. You can carefully cut through
          (or sand through) the existing paint to look for a black layer of
          paint also.

          To answer your question, slateboard paint will work fine if that is
          what your schoolhouse had. It will need some rework if you use it
          every single day. But if you don't use it every day it will be fine
          for quite a while. Start with at least 2 coats and keep the
          remaining gallon for another paint job when it starts to look worn.

          Thanks..
          Richard Lewis