Re:Thanksgiving

  • Fay Stone
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
      As to Thanksgiving, yes, we celebrated in the school, usually by creating some artistic remembrances such as turkeys, horns of plenty, or pilgrim cutouts, which were often mounted on our huge windows that were built on each side of the room.

      I regret to say that we were not taught much about the Indian's opinion of the feast, but we were aware of their helping the early Pilgrims at first to grow the food they were thankful for. We were made aware of our own blessings and what we should be thankful for.

      Yes, we usually came back on Friday. We rarely had holidays off because school had to close early in Spring. In fact, in the earlier schools, there was only three months session in winter for the boys and three months in summer for the girls, which was because this was when they were least needed to help on the farm and at home

      We celebrated a lot of holidays that don't get much attention today, (probably because no one in TV land has figured out how to make money off them yet).

      We clebrated Armistice Day wirh three moments of silence at 11, Arbor Day by planting a tree, May 1 by making little flower baskets to take home. We often memorized a poem about that day and illustrated it in a small hand made scrap book. These small scrap books were often used to illustrate something we were studying, a good way to impress a child's memory and keep them out of mischief.
                                                                                              Fay Stone