Re:What is it?

  • Fay Stone
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
      I agree that it is some kind of slotted box to hold flash cards. We used them often for math problems, especially learning things we were supposed to memorize... In the early grades it would be the answers to problems of addition or subtraction. Later, to multiplication and division. I've been grateful all my life for the convenience of having these facts stored in memory. This includes the conversion of common fractions to decimals and back,  and the squares of all numbers up to twenty.

      I am puzzled by the beauty of the wood and the workmanship. Perhaps this was made by some local cabinetmaker, ours were much simpler.    Fay Stone