[oneroom ] funding nomination (was Greetings)

  • Mocdel1049@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2006

      Melissa

      I would recommend that you apply for a grant to fund the process. We are in the process of applying for a grant to fund the work needed to nominate our one room school house for inclusion on the National Register. Our State's (NJ) Historic Trust gives planning/management grants and has indicated this is an appropriate application and encouraged the application. The grant deadline is 6/1/06 and the  awards will not be announced until the fall so I can't say it is a sure thing but it is worth a try.
      Some of our letters of support are from the other sites in the Historic District who see how we fit into the fabric of the community.

      I will note we are in operation already, have visitation and have been part of the historic district since the 1970s but every journey stats with one step!

      Since the process is in the under $10,000 range there may be mini-grants or research grant you can try for too.

      Good luck

      Maureen O'Connor Leach
      NSCDA-NJ
      Peachfield Plantation
      180 Burrs Rd
      Westampton NJ 08060
      609 267 6996

      In a message dated 5/18/2006 5:23:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, reellives@... writes:
      Greetings,

      I belong to a historical society that wants to preserve and restore a former, one-room school for African-American children located in  Hanover county, Virginia.  I am new to historical preservation and perhaps I am wrong but, it seems difficult to obtain funding for preservation activities without the school first being listed on the Register (state/national level).  A reconnaissance survey has been completed but, unfortunately, I don't know how a fledgling black historical society can raise the funds or politcal support to pay for an Intensive Level Survey, architectural historian, or other professionals required to nominate the school to the Register. So, my research has brought me to this group and hopefully, I can learn from others.  It seems like an uphill battle, to say the least.

      Thanks!
      Melissa Dopp