Re: [oneroom] McGuffey Readers

  • Robain sue farm
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
      The Mott Media readers are from 1836. By 1913, McGuffeys were becoming rarer. In 1920 when Henry Ford wanted to revive the use of McGuffeys in his school system, he had to reprint his own. There were many other companies by then and I think with good reason. I've liked EVERY other late 19th century on reader I've read, much better than McGuffey. I've never taught out of them, but as a reader its like night and day. Unfortunately nobody seems to be reprinting Watsons Independent series, Swinton's or the others, (please correct me if anybody knows of any other reader in reprints) so if you want to use reprints you might have to go with a late McGuffey.

      There's a list of reproduction books in the links section of the listserv homepage with years according to publisher information. The list is one I've assembled and I'd be glad of additions.

      There is a reproduction off of the 1896 McGuffeys (the last major revision), but I don't have an online source. Anybody else?

      Sarah S. Uthoff
    • Langs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
        Sarah,
        Thank-you for the information. Unfortunately I couldn't pull up your list of
        text reproductions.
        Julie

        > The Mott Media readers are from 1836. By 1913, McGuffeys were becoming
        > rarer. In 1920 when Henry Ford wanted to revive the use of McGuffeys in
        > his school system, he had to reprint his own. There were many other
        > companies by then and I think with good reason. I've liked EVERY other
        > late 19th century on reader I've read, much better than McGuffey. I've
        > never taught out of them, but as a reader its like night and day.
        > Unfortunately nobody seems to be reprinting Watsons Independent series,
        > Swinton's or the others, (please correct me if anybody knows of any other
        > reader in reprints) so if you want to use reprints you might have to go
        > with a late McGuffey.
        >
        > There's a list of reproduction books in the links section of the listserv
        > homepage with years according to publisher information. The list is one
        > I've assembled and I'd be glad of additions.
        >
        > There is a reproduction off of the 1896 McGuffeys (the last major
        > revision), but I don't have an online source. Anybody else?
        >
        > Sarah S. Uthoff
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • robansuefarm
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 25, 2006
          For Julie and anybody else who couldn't bring up the list from the link
          I sent. The first page of this listserv's homepage is at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oneroom
          it is open to anybody and shows a description of the listserv and a few
          of the latest messages to give people an idea if they'd like to sign up
          or not. To get anywhere else on the page you have to sign in with your
          Yahoo ID and password. You probably created one when you signed up for
          this list, but if you checked listserv only you might not have, but
          could sign up now. If anybody just wants the list I mentioned I can
          copy it into an e-mail and send it, but there is quite a bit on the
          webpage and I update it when I find something new, so I think it's
          worth your time to figure out how to log on. If you want me to paste
          the list into an e-mail for you, please e-mail me directly (don't reply
          to the list) at uthoff@... Thanks and sorry for any
          confusion.

          Sarah S. Uthoff

          P.S. Julie thanks for being brave enough to ask, probably there were
          other people having trouble also.