RE: [oneroom] Books

  • Pickard, Kelli
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006

      America’s Country Schools by Andrew Gulliford – University Press of Colorado

      Ringing the Children: Texas Country Schools by Thad Sitton and Milam C. Rowold

      Both are really good.

      Kelli

      Kelli Pickard

      Museum Director

      Log Cabin Village

      2100 Log Cabin Village Lane

      Fort Worth, Texas 76109

      (817) 871-6768

      www.logcabinvillage.org

      "Escape the present...experience the past"

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006
        Wayne Fuller's THE OLD COUNTRY SCHOOL, University of Chicago Press,
        1982. More recent books have been written, but I think this is still the
        best.
        Lucy Townsend

        >>> uthoff@... 02/21/06 1:52 PM >>>
        What do you consider to the basic books anyone interested in one-room
        schools should read?

        Sarah S. Uthoff

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Langs
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006
          Guilliford, Andrew, America's Country Schools, Preservation Press, 1991. (I
          have an extra copy if someone wants it.)

          Fuller, Wayne E., One-Room Schools of the Middle West, University Press of
          Kansas, 1994

          Sherman, William L., Iowa's Country Schools Landmarks of Learning, Iowa
          State Education Association and Mid-Prairie Books, 1998.

          > What do you consider to the basic books anyone interested in one-room
          > schools should read?
          >
          > Sarah S. Uthoff
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • Sharon Cook
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 22, 2006
            I would highly recommend Iowa's Country Schools-Landmarks of Learning...edited by William L. Sherman, a longtime advocate in preserving these landmarks in our state....I would also suggest:

            Country School Memories, designed and compiled by Bonnie Hughes Falk..Illustrated by Nancy Delage Huber, published by Skandisk, Inc.,...available through The Tomten Catalog tomten@...
            ISBN:1-57534-032-1

            The One-Room Schoolhouse, by Jim Heynen, an amusing account of young boys without judgment or condescension....Vintage Contemporaries, Vintage Books, a Division of Random House, Inc ISBN: 0-679-74769-9, 1994

            Schoolwomen of the Prairies and Plains, by Mary Hurlbut Cordier, personal narratives from Iowa, Kansas, & Nebraska, 1860's to 1920's.... University of New Mexico Press, ISBN 0-8263-1384-1....,1992.....This book contains a chapter on Sarah Gillespie Huftalen, to whom we are dedicating the restoration project of our one room brick school plus many other accounts of early oneroom school education.   I do have about 6 copies of this book that are available to anyone who might be interested.....Just contact me at gmasharon&mchsi.com and I would be happy to send it out to you.....

            Enjoy!!
            Sharon
            What do you consider to the basic books anyone interested in one-room
            schools should read?

            Sarah S. Uthoff

          • Gwenyth Swain
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22, 2006
              I come from a children's literature perspective, so I recommend reading good children's fiction (and nonfiction too) set in one-room schools. You can find a pdf file of an article I wrote, with many titles listed, for the magazine Book Links at this link:

              http://www.ala.org/ala/booklinksbucket/RevisitingtheOneRoomSchool.pdf

              Enjoy!

              Gwenyth Swain
              writer

              On Feb 21, 2006, at 1:52 PM, robansuefarm wrote:

              What do you consider to the basic books anyone interested in one-room
              schools should read?

              School education Pre school education

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Isabel Ganz

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2006
                  "The One-Room Schoolhouse. A Tribute to a Beloved National Icon" -
                  Paul Rocheleau - Universe Publishing, 2003

                  Great photographs!