Fw: Re: Aof GG School Days

  • Isabel Ganz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Someone on another list I belong to, mentioned a restored one room school house.  I emailed her for more information and she sent me the message below and gave permission for me to forward it to this list.  No doubt, many of you know of this already, but I thought it might be of interest to some.

      Isabel

       Andrews School located at 24 and VanDyke Shelby Twp., Michigan

      The one room school house was built about 1871 at 25 mile and Mound on a 1 acre parcel of land.  At that time it was owned by Chester Andrews.  The Building was used for class into the 1950"s.
      Then it went through different owners and was converted into a two family flat.

      In 1975 Shelby Twp. bought the building as a bicentennial project for $1 with the condition that it be moved in 90 days.  They took the roof off and a US Army Transport crew and US army Corp of Engineers moved the building by ground transport to it's present location.

      There were many problems!  The concrete foundation didn't fit; the building was placed on the foundation backward; the roof was damaged beyond repair;
      the walls were weakened and most of the remaining tenants, wood eating beetles, moved with the building!

      A master carpenter, Heinz Lanbertz, and three assistants were hired with Federal funds to solve the problem.  A new roof was put on just weeks before the first snowfall. An exterminator rid the building of its inhabitants, wobbly walls were secured to the foundation and the ceiling was braced against Gabled roof.  The back of the building was made to look like the front as doors and what was once a cloak-room were moved.  Insulation and new siding were added

      The bell tower and its original bell adds to the charm of this one room Andrews Schoolhouse.  It is now a museum and with the surrounding historical church and train, plus the Garden.  Awesome place to be.