Re: [oneroom] Digest Number 50

  • Fay Stone
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      When I was teaching at the last one room school, McAuley, we had an Arbor
      Day celebration. We were told this day was promoted by Sterling Morton
      (founder of Morton salt, who lived in Kane county. IL)
      We studied trees as plants (their structure) and various types and varieties
      of trees. Our finale was to plant a tree outdoors in our playground. I'm
      amazed at how many former students come back and check on the growth of
      'their' tree. Fay Stone

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        Fay Stone wrote:

        >When I was teaching at the last one room school, McAuley, we had an Arbor
        >Day celebration. We were told this day was promoted by Sterling Morton
        >(founder of Morton salt, who lived in Kane county. IL)
        >We studied trees as plants (their structure) and various types and varieties
        >of trees. Our finale was to plant a tree outdoors in our playground. I'm
        >amazed at how many former students come back and check on the growth of
        >'their' tree. Fay Stone

        J. Sterling Morton later moved to Nebraska City, Nebraska. At that time
        Nebraska had few trees, so he gave money to start planting some. His
        mansion, Arbor Lodge, is quite a place. It is open to the public, and
        the admission price is pretty low. I haven't been there for several
        years, but I always enjoy the tour. The grounds are covered with trees,
        and there is quite an apple orchard there. Every fall they have an apple
        festival with lots of good cider.

        Now that you've reminded me, we'll have to make sure to stop and get
        some cider in a couple of weeks when we go up to Nebraska to get our
        daughter.

        --
        David Lininger, kb0zke,
        MS/HS librarian