RE: [onereachinganother] Asif, what can we do for Kenya?

  • Davis Weddi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008

      As we all plan and think about the situation in Kenya, I must hasten to note that Uganda has been seriously affected by the events in that country.

      Ugandans can no longer drive their cars as the fuel supply that comes through Kenya is now cut off.

      Worse still Kenyans have started fleeing into Uganda . Some of us who have relatives across the border, are now hosting some of those who managed to cross in time to escape the violence.

      But those who arrived are in dire need of help. The refugees are increasing by the day. Each hour, a new groups arrives on foot at least according to eye-witnesses including journalists.

      One story like the one I have attached below tries to explain, but the situation is really very worrying.

      We think that if the fuel situation continues like this, our mobile phones will soon not be able to call up-country where the base stations are diesel powered. And yet transport has already been paralysed.

      Davis Weddi

      Kampala, Uganda

      +256 752 697575

      ==============================

      Kenyans flee into Uganda - Red Cross

      OVER 500 Kenyans have fled to Uganda , the Red Cross Society has said. According to the deputy national coordinator, Richard Nataka, the refugees are stranded at the border town of Malaba . More...

      Fuel shortage worsens countrywide

      THE fuel shortage, especially of petrol, has disrupted the transport sector. This has pushed transport fares up. The shortages were caused by the post-election violence in Kenya , which followed the weekend announcement of Mwai Kibaki as the winner. More...

      ====================================

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        As we think how we can help KENYA lets be urgent
        this morning afriend in kenya called Frolence called me and she was
        hidden in small room together with her child she wanted to know if she
        could find help from me in kampala and iwas so suprised because i
        think icould not help her tried to call sam and david their phones
        could not go through
        but i have hard from Maria that SAM AND KEN are fine but tom in kisum
        has been robbed.

        It has affected us too in that now the cost of traveling with in
        uganda is to expensive
        and cars are packed without fuel since all comes from kenya

        Am looking ahead to see what steps we can take to help iwill be
        available please sam let us know what we can do to help. am also happy
        to hear wenddi
        whats your plan wendi about this?