Using OMB and Ableton Live together

  • Steve Wells
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi,

      Is there anyone here who has successfully linked up OMB and Ableton Live?

      I'd like to use OMB as my sequencer/arranger, but use the voices and
      effects (and audio processing for mic input) from Ableton.

      How do I get these guys to play well together?

      Thanks,

      SteveW
    • Chris Laarman
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        Steve Wells (smwells5@...), Monday, September 01, 2008 6:02 PM

        > Is there anyone here who has successfully linked up OMB and Ableton
        > Live?
        >
        > I'd like to use OMB as my sequencer/arranger, but use the voices and
        > effects (and audio processing for mic input) from Ableton.
        >
        > How do I get these guys to play well together?

        I'm not familiar with Ableton Live, but I've watched
        http://www.ableton.com/live-no-idea-lost.

        I think, that the best way would be: to split your projects in half - first
        get the notes (MIDI only)right in OMB, then save a MIDI file, then process
        the MIDI file in Ableton Live to make those right notes sound right and add
        the mic input.

        You'd use some simple or cheap MIDI Out device in OMB, to be able to monitor
        what you're doing. Like the humble Microsoft GS device that comes with
        Windows.

        --
        Chris Laarman
      • smwells5@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
          Thanks for the response, Chris. What I should have included is that I'd like to use the arranger output (only - no melody) from OMB to put into Ableton Live in realtime for a live performance using a mic for vocal input and controller keyboard for one-finger chord designation. So for this, creating a MIDI file in advance wouldn't work. Here's a diagram of what I'd like to achieve:

          mic ----------------------------------| (add Effects) |
                                                | Ableton Live  |----- Stereo out ---------->
          Kbd Controller ------| OMB |----------|               |

          SteveW

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
            > Thanks for the response, Chris. What I should have included is that
            > I'd like to use the arranger output (only - no melody) from OMB to
            > put into Ableton Live in realtime for a live performance using a mic
            > for vocal input and controller keyboard for one-finger chord
            > designation. So for this, creating a MIDI file in advance wouldn't
            > work. Here's a diagram of what I'd like to achieve:
            >
            > mic ----------------------------------| (add Effects) |
            > | Ableton Live |----- Stereo
            > out ---------->
            > Kbd Controller ------| OMB |----------| |

            You would need a "virtual MIDI cable" to connect OMB and Ableton Live, like
            MIDI Yoke, freeware at
            http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm. (This
            "double" link is how I pasted it from my browser.)

            But I wonder if Ableton Live can process this live input. If you are
            positive about this, then you've got what you want.

            --
            Chris Laarman
          • Steve Wells
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
              Thanks for the tip, Chris.

              I've now got Midi Yoke working as the connector between OMB and
              Ableton. There are other challenges I'm dealing with now in getting it
              to work usably, - we'll see where I get with it.

              If anyone else has been through this process, I'd love to hear about
              your experiences.

              SteveW

              > You would need a "virtual MIDI cable" to connect OMB and Ableton
              Live, like
              > MIDI Yoke, freeware at
              > http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm. (This
              > "double" link is how I pasted it from my browser.)
              >
              > But I wonder if Ableton Live can process this live input. If you are
              > positive about this, then you've got what you want.
              >
              > --
              > Chris Laarman

            • Chris Laarman
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
                Steve Wells (smwells5@...), Tuesday, September 02, 2008 4:20 PM

                > Thanks for the tip, Chris.

                :-)

                > I've now got Midi Yoke working as the connector between OMB and
                > Ableton. There are other challenges I'm dealing with now in getting it
                > to work usably, - we'll see where I get with it.

                I anticipated (these?) challenges. That is why I mentioned the MIDI files in
                the first place.

                I bet that you wonder at how to send specific settings from OMB. I have
                never done this myself, but I figure that you could create certain OMB or
                MIDI files that contain just settings (maybe even System Exclusive messages,
                or rather their software equivalent, if supported), no notes.
                You could play these from OMB to Ableton Live to set it up, and limit your
                OMB songs to "the usual stuff".

                > If anyone else has been through this process, I'd love to hear about
                > your experiences.

                So would I.

                --
                Chris Laarman
              • musikman4christ
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Right now, I almost got a my setup working where, I have OMB playing
                  a style, and I am using SFZ soundfont player in an Ableton midi track
                  playing back what ever OMB plays. It is kind of tricky but it is
                  getting there. I noticed that using the SFZ takes up a lot of CPU
                  power as the ableton live's CPU meter shows the CPU usage higher than
                  normal.

                  I have it where I have created a template that has SFZ as the
                  Soundfont host within a Midi Track in Ableton. I am able to add
                  effects to it, like compressor or EQ what ever, and then it outputs
                  the sound to the mater outs.

                  The trick is to create several midi tracks in ableton. Like I created
                  tracks for the backing parts. Like track 10 for drums, 11 for bass,
                  etc, etc...then, in the midi input, I tell it to input via midi yoke
                  port1. then you must tell it what channel. So for drums, i tell it to
                  use channel ten.
                  Then I output this midi channel to Midi Channel 3. This is the midi
                  channel in Live that is hosting my SFZ soundfont host and player.
                  When midi channel 3 receives the midi info from track 10 in ableton
                  live, it will play back what ever I have set SFZ to playback for that
                  specific midi channel.
                  So I go to the SFZ soundfont player and I choose midi channel 10
                  within itself and I select drums. Neat thing is that you can choose
                  any type of drumkit. I select standard. Well, now when i play back
                  OMB, the whole midi signal is piped thorugh midi yoke, all the way to
                  midi channel three in live, to midi channel 10 in SFZ soundfont
                  player.
                  I do this for all the channels I want, up to 16. Or up to what ever
                  you PC can handle.

                  Of course remember I am doing this because I am using a Soundfont to
                  play back all my midi music from OMB. in other words, I am using
                  software. IT all is working fine so far. I havent finished yet, but
                  it looks like it will work completely once I finish the template.

                  Try to find SFZ soundfont player its, free. and also I recommed the
                  SGM180v1.5 Soundfont. I think its the best sounding soundfont out
                  there, and its free.

                  --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wells" <smwells5@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks for the tip, Chris.
                  >
                  > I've now got Midi Yoke working as the connector between OMB and
                  > Ableton. There are other challenges I'm dealing with now in getting
                  it
                  > to work usably, - we'll see where I get with it.
                  >
                  > If anyone else has been through this process, I'd love to hear about
                  > your experiences.
                  >
                  > SteveW
                  > |

                  > > You would need a "virtual MIDI cable" to connect OMB and Ableton
                  > Live, like
                  > > MIDI Yoke, freeware at
                  > > http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm.
                  (This
                  > > "double" link is how I pasted it from my browser.)
                  > >
                  > > But I wonder if Ableton Live can process this live input. If you
                  are
                  > > positive about this, then you've got what you want.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Chris Laarman

                • Chris Laarman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2008
                    musikman4christ (musikman4christ@...), Monday, September 08, 2008 1:01
                    AM

                    > Right now, I almost got a my setup working where, I have OMB playing
                    > a style, and I am using SFZ soundfont player in an Ableton midi track
                    > playing back what ever OMB plays. It is kind of tricky but it is
                    > getting there. I noticed that using the SFZ takes up a lot of CPU
                    > power as the ableton live's CPU meter shows the CPU usage higher than
                    > normal.
                    >
                    > I have it where I have created a template that has SFZ as the
                    > Soundfont host within a Midi Track in Ableton. I am able to add
                    > effects to it, like compressor or EQ what ever, and then it outputs
                    > the sound to the mater outs.

                    1) SFZ has (at least) a stand-alone and a VST version. I understand that
                    you're using the VST plug-in.

                    > The trick is to create several midi tracks in ableton. Like I created
                    > tracks for the backing parts. Like track 10 for drums, 11 for bass,
                    > etc, etc...then, in the midi input, I tell it to input via midi yoke
                    > port1. then you must tell it what channel. So for drums, i tell it to
                    > use channel ten.
                    > Then I output this midi channel to Midi Channel 3. This is the midi
                    > channel in Live that is hosting my SFZ soundfont host and player.
                    > When midi channel 3 receives the midi info from track 10 in ableton
                    > live, it will play back what ever I have set SFZ to playback for that
                    > specific midi channel.
                    > So I go to the SFZ soundfont player and I choose midi channel 10
                    > within itself and I select drums. Neat thing is that you can choose
                    > any type of drumkit. I select standard. Well, now when i play back
                    > OMB, the whole midi signal is piped thorugh midi yoke, all the way to
                    > midi channel three in live, to midi channel 10 in SFZ soundfont
                    > player.
                    > I do this for all the channels I want, up to 16. Or up to what ever
                    > you PC can handle.

                    2) Channels are part of the MIDI specification. There are sixteen of them,
                    no more, no less. And it has become something of a standard to associate
                    Channel 10 with a Drums device or setting.
                    And yes, some MIDI devices are limited in their response to messages (I'm
                    thinking of the Yamaha WT11 synthesizer, intended for use with the WX series
                    of wind controllers. It is monophonic, but can maintain a drone in the
                    bagpipes way.)

                    Tracks are part of the MIDI »file« specification. There is exactly one Track
                    in a Type 0 Standard MIDI File, and there is at least one in a Type 1 or
                    (rare) Type 2 one. The maximum number of Tracks must be 16129 (127^2), as
                    the header of every Standard MIDI File contains the number of Tracks in a
                    two-byte field, and MIDI uses the first bit of every byte to separate
                    commands from arguments.

                    > Of course remember I am doing this because I am using a Soundfont to
                    > play back all my midi music from OMB. in other words, I am using
                    > software. IT all is working fine so far. I havent finished yet, but
                    > it looks like it will work completely once I finish the template.
                    >
                    > Try to find SFZ soundfont player its, free. and also I recommed the
                    > SGM180v1.5 Soundfont. I think its the best sounding soundfont out
                    > there, and its free.

                    3) The original freeware SFZ player was made by RGC Audio. However, my
                    shortcut http://www.rgcaudio.com/index.htm gets redirected to Cakewalk,
                    where you can buy the SFZ+ player.

                    4) One might also try SynthFont, http://www.synthfont.com/. It is more
                    versatile than SFZ, and still being developed (and free, until you give in
                    to the nag screen).

                    5) SGM180 must be a great sound font, but at least it's a large one: 180
                    MB. Its ReadMe file points to http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/. There
                    you find a link to its version 2.01 at Megaupload,
                    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V5YNBFRO. You'll need sfArk to decompress the
                    ZIPped file.

                    The URL at Shan's page doesn't work (with me), but sfArk can be downloaded
                    from http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=soundfonts&c=17. You'll may find more of
                    that site worthwhile.

                    6) Be aware that a sound font of 180 MB requires 180 MB of RAM when
                    loaded - unless the soundfont player temporarily slices it up, as does
                    VSampler.

                    --
                    Chris Laarman
                  • Steve Wells
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2008
                      Musicmand4christ and Chris,

                      Thanks both of you for you efforts to educate me and others with
                      similar questions. Based on your current and previous posts, I've now
                      got OMB working well as a virtual arranger

                      I'm using OMB, MIDI-Yoke, Ableton Lite 7 (got for free w/ my m-audio
                      controller), sfz, SGM180v1.5, and ASIO4all. Cool that $50 for OMB was
                      all I had to pay for software.

                      Also very helpful was a tutorial that I found on the web that has
                      screen shots and good accompanying text:

                      http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/soundfonts-in-live-part-1
                      http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/soundfonts-in-live-part-2

                      I'm quite pleased with my setup, though there's lots of room for
                      refinement.

                      My purpose in all this was to create the ability for me to accompany
                      myself live while a play a one-handed flute, called an Amorea.

                      With my current setup, I can play flute (using a USB headset mic) with
                      the right hand, and accompany myself with the left hand.

                      I had purchased an m-audio mid-air 37 controller to control OMB with
                      my left hand, but have found that manipulating all OMB controls with
                      sliders and a few buttons was rather difficult. So I purchased a Mad
                      Catz micro wireless PC keyboard (fits in the palm of my hand) which
                      can be much more effective to control OMB's PC keyboards 1 and 2.

                      With the use of AutoHotKey freeware, I can map this little keybaord to
                      command OMB to do just about anything OMB is capable of doing - play all
                      chord types, choose presets, etc.

                      It's like a dream setup, and I'm really looking forward to playing in
                      public with it.

                      SteveW

                      --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "musikman4christ"
                      <musikman4christ@...> wrote:

                      > Right now, I almost got a my setup working where, I have OMB playing
                      > a style, ...
                    • Chris Laarman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 8, 2008
                        Steve Wells (smwells5@...), Monday, September 08, 2008 4:45 PM

                        > Musicmand4christ and Chris,
                        >
                        > Thanks both of you for you efforts to educate me and others with
                        > similar questions. Based on your current and previous posts, I've now
                        > got OMB working well as a virtual arranger

                        Thank you for sharing your findings with us!

                        --
                        Chris Laarman
                      • musikman4christ
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 11, 2008
                          So awesome! Thanks for the links and info about the hotkeys and
                          keyboard. I need to get something like that to place ontop of my
                          controller keyboard.

                          I am thinking of also getting SFZplus... I think the eight channel
                          output would be so awsome, to be able to put separate audio effects
                          to say, only the drums track or bass track and so on within Ableton
                          Live, this can make a huge difference in the sound quality. Of course
                          eat up CPU too, but I guess one can play around for a better balance.

                          Either way, I am also considering Hypersonic 2.
                          Just when I had everything setup perfectly, I got a virus attack on
                          my home pc. I had now to reformat and reinstall everything.
                          Unfortunately, I havent finished yet.

                          Can't wait. THis sounds so exciting to be able to have OMB and
                          Ableton live work together specially since Live is so easy in the
                          midi routing scheme and it's just so plain fun. Drag and drop
                          effects, everything is just more inspiring.

                          wrote:

                          > Musicmand4christ and Chris,
                          >
                          > Thanks both of you for you efforts to educate me and others with
                          > similar questions. Based on your current and previous posts, I've
                          now
                          > got OMB working well as a virtual arranger
                          >
                          > I'm using OMB, MIDI-Yoke, Ableton Lite 7 (got for free w/ my m-audio
                          > controller), sfz, SGM180v1.5, and ASIO4all. Cool that $50 for OMB
                          was
                          > all I had to pay for software.
                          >
                          > Also very helpful was a tutorial that I found on the web that has
                          > screen shots and good accompanying text:
                          >
                          > http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/soundfonts-in-live-part-1
                          > http://virtualturntable.fourstones.net/soundfonts-in-live-part-2
                          >
                          > I'm quite pleased with my setup, though there's lots of room for
                          > refinement.
                          >
                          > My purpose in all this was to create the ability for me to accompany
                          > myself live while a play a one-handed flute, called an Amorea.
                          >
                          > With my current setup, I can play flute (using a USB headset mic)
                          with
                          > the right hand, and accompany myself with the left hand.
                          >
                          > I had purchased an m-audio mid-air 37 controller to control OMB with
                          > my left hand, but have found that manipulating all OMB controls with
                          > sliders and a few buttons was rather difficult. So I purchased a Mad
                          > Catz micro wireless PC keyboard (fits in the palm of my hand) which
                          > can be much more effective to control OMB's PC keyboards 1 and 2.
                          >
                          > With the use of AutoHotKey freeware, I can map this little keybaord
                          > command OMB to do just about anything OMB is capable of doing -
                          play all
                          > chord types, choose presets, etc.
                          >
                          > It's like a dream setup, and I'm really looking forward to playing
                          in
                          > public with it.
                          >
                          > SteveW
                          >
                          > --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "musikman4christ"
                          > <musikman4christ@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Right now, I almost got a my setup working where, I have OMB
                          playing
                          > > a style, ...

                        • musikman4christ
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Hello Steve,

                            I been wondering to ask you if you had a link of where one can
                            purchase the Mad Cats micro wireless keyboard you mentioned. I would
                            like to get one. Thank you in advance.

                            Musikman

                          • smwells5@netscape.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Hi Musikman,

                              I got mine at Amazon.com. Here's the link:

                              Playstation 3 Wireless ThumbPad

                              If the link doesn't work for you, just go to Amazon.com and search for: