Re: [onemanbandgroup] Re: OMB Arranger pauses when changing patterns while playing through midi out [OT]

  • Chris Laarman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2008
      Cray Z Fournotes (hallsonmfg@...), Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:59 PM

      > Whenever it goes through a cable, all MIDI is serial and limited to
      > the cable and the equipment's ability to pass it quickly. I have
      > heard this called MIDI choke, the equivalent to what happens to
      > roadways at rush hour too much traffic too little space.

      Avoiding this MIDI choke would be (I've been told) a major advantage of VST
      (and other interfaces?) software synthesizers.

      After all the spec (I would take it to be MPU-401 rather than MIDI itself)
      prescribes 32 kb/s (kilobit per second), which would translate to 4 kB/s
      (kilobyte per second). As a Note On and a Note Off together occupy 6 bytes,
      that may seem acceptable (apart from orchestral pieces with tight timing),
      but would hardly cope with continuous controllers (like Pitch Bend or
      Breath).

      --
      Chris Laarman