Best GM modules Hardware or Software?

  • musikman4christ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hello Friends,

      Any of you out there would recommend the best GM sound modules hardware
      or software that you think would work with OMB?

      best,

      Musikman
    • Chris Laarman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
        musikman4christ (musikman4christ@...), Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:51
        AM

        > Any of you out there would recommend the best GM sound modules
        > hardware or software that you think would work with OMB?

        For soft synths the answer would depend on the available resources of your
        computer.

        And then, would you prefer flexibility, most accurate sounds, or what?

        --
        Chris Laarman

        "This is all I can says. I can says no more!"
        [after Popeye]
      • Stefan Lindmark
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
          One of the best software GM producs is probably Steinberg Hypersonic 2 (http://www.steinberg.net/152_1.html).

          But to use Hypersonic 2 with maximum quality voices, you need to use MIDI-OX between OMB and HS2. This is to remap some voices from HS2 GM set to use voices from the the standard set. Some of the GM voices are of notably lower quality than corresponding non-GM (for example the organs). But everything you need is in there, MIDI-OX is free software and the remapping is done according to the MSB/LSB documentation in the appendix of the HS2 manual.

          Note that not all GM software packages are able to respond to patch change messages. They might have all the GM sounds. But without responding to patch changes from OMB, you won't be able to use them as your sound source for OMB and have the instruments changed automatically when you change style or solo instrument.

          /Stefan

          On Jan 8, 2008 4:13 AM, Chris Laarman <v.c.laarman@...> wrote:

          musikman4christ (musikman4christ@...), Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:51
          AM

          > Any of you out there would recommend the best GM sound modules
          > hardware or software that you think would work with OMB?

          For soft synths the answer would depend on the available resources of your
          computer.

          And then, would you prefer flexibility, most accurate sounds, or what?

          --
          Chris Laarman

          "This is all I can says. I can says no more!"
          [after Popeye]

          --
          Stefan Lindmark
          Mobile: +46 73 270 84 55
        • nikdejan33
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
            Hello!
            Hypersonic 2 is definitely my choice too. I had some dilemmas about
            remapping. I had an option to do the remapping in Brainspawn Forte,
            which is a host program to my HS2. But that way (and it is similar
            with MIDI-OX) I would have to restrict my use of HS2 to 128 chosen
            replacement patches for GM bank. On the other hand, changing patch
            numbers for every single style looked like a lot of job.
            So, I found a middle way, and the solution was in OMB already! I
            used OMB's Style Programming Language to change automatically patch
            numbers for the styles I had. For example, I made a small
            STPL "program" which searches through the styles in a given folder,
            and whenever it finds patch number 0 (which is acoustic piano), it
            replaces is with, for example, Bank 32, Patch 07, which is my
            favourite HS2 Piano, and when ever it finds patch 33, it replaces it
            with my favourite guitar etc.
            It takes some time to make that program, but when you succeed, it
            works like a charm.
            So, basically, what is a difference between this method, and
            remapping method?
            Well, when you finish your job with STPL program, styles will sound
            the same as if they were remapped, but the great advantage is that
            you can ADDITIONALLY CHANGE STYLE PATCHES in OMB and that way use
            the full potential of HS2, i.e. you don't need to restrict yourself
            to the 128 initially chosen patches.
            To make this job easier I created (and uploaded it in file
            section... thank you, thank you) instrument definition file for HS2
            to use with OMB.

            Cheers
            --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Lindmark"

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
              Thanks for this information. I stopped using OMB for a while because,
              I hated having to change every patch all the time manually and
              besides that, my PC would choke sometimes if I had all the patches
              playing, specially if I used software synths. For now, I am going to
              look into HS2 and see if that would be the best way to go.

              THanks man...

              --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "nikdejan33" <nikdejan33@...>