Hello Friends, Is anyone using OMB with a Drum VSTi?

  • musikman4christ
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
      I wonder if anyone has any experience using OMB with a Vsti such as
      Jamstix, EZdrummer or even soundfonts?

      I personally used OMB with SGM180 soundfont and the quality is
      outstanding. I just wondered if anyone out there has achieved better
      quality such as hardware arranger level, like the Tyros or Korg PA
      series....Right now with the Soundfont the level I am getting is not
      there yet as of now. BUt i am getting close. Any ideas?

      Thanks in advance.

      Musikman
    • Rikki King
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2007
        Hi Musikman,
        it's really just a case of getting the best sounding fonts.
        I have about 6 or 8 different GM soundfont banks.
        A mix of commercial & free soundfont banks.
        Haven't found the perfect bank yet. Some the banks the piano's are
        good , the guitars are bad,the strings are good the brass may be bad.
        The commercial ones may not neccasarily sound better than the freebies.
        Also discovered size does not always make a particular font sound
        better. Discovered that with some of the piano's. I downloaded some
        free piano's I'd found. One of them was nearly 200mb's just by itself.
        It just didn't sound right in the mix , when mixed with other
        instruments in an omb style.
        The beauty of the sound font system is that you can mix n match them
        via librarians or soundfont editors.

        I actually now have a little psr1500 which I use for general arranger
        playing.

        I still also use my clavinova which I prefer to use with OMB &
        soundfonts/& or my sd2 sound module.

        best wishes
        Rikki

        --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "musikman4christ"
        <musikman4christ@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if anyone has any experience using OMB with a Vsti such as
        > Jamstix, EZdrummer or even soundfonts?
        >
        > I personally used OMB with SGM180 soundfont and the quality is
        > outstanding. I just wondered if anyone out there has achieved better
        > quality such as hardware arranger level, like the Tyros or Korg PA
        > series....Right now with the Soundfont the level I am getting is not
        > there yet as of now. BUt i am getting close. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Musikman

      • musikman4christ
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 8, 2007
          Hello Rikki,

          THanks for your response. I am so happy that you are always around.
          You are always so helpful and friendly. Its nice to have people like
          you in this forum.
          I am actually right now just using my Korg Trinity sounds with OMB. I
          find that the effects on the Trinity make the drums sound huge and
          nice. I am mostly very interested in drums and Bass, as the other
          tracks like strings, piano and guitars, I am going to record myself.
          Well, the electric guitar and Bass mostly.
          But OMB really shines with the drums because I can call in Fills at
          the push of a button. Thats where its at. Realtime recording.

          By the way, this is a bit off topic, is there a limit on how many
          fills one can program in OMB?

          Best regards,
          Musikman

          --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rikki King" <rikkisbears@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Musikman,
          > it's really just a case of getting the best sounding fonts.
          > I have about 6 or 8 different GM soundfont banks.
          > A mix of commercial & free soundfont banks.
          > Haven't found the perfect bank yet. Some the banks the piano's are
          > good , the guitars are bad,the strings are good the brass may be bad.
          > The commercial ones may not neccasarily sound better than the freebies.
          > Also discovered size does not always make a particular font sound
          > better. Discovered that with some of the piano's. I downloaded some
          > free piano's I'd found. One of them was nearly 200mb's just by itself.
          > It just didn't sound right in the mix , when mixed with other
          > instruments in an omb style.
          > The beauty of the sound font system is that you can mix n match them
          > via librarians or soundfont editors.
          >
          > I actually now have a little psr1500 which I use for general arranger
          > playing.
          >
          > I still also use my clavinova which I prefer to use with OMB &
          > soundfonts/& or my sd2 sound module.
          >
          > best wishes
          > Rikki
          >

          > --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "musikman4christ"
          > <musikman4christ@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I wonder if anyone has any experience using OMB with a Vsti such as
          > > Jamstix, EZdrummer or even soundfonts?
          > >
          > > I personally used OMB with SGM180 soundfont and the quality is
          > > outstanding. I just wondered if anyone out there has achieved better
          > > quality such as hardware arranger level, like the Tyros or Korg PA
          > > series....Right now with the Soundfont the level I am getting is not
          > > there yet as of now. BUt i am getting close. Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Musikman

        • Rikki King
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2007
            Hi Musikman
            Musiclab drum tools is quite an interesting one. I tried the demo
            version a year or so ago, but at that stage OMB didn't support vst's &
            dxi's.
            you can really only try it once for 20 days or so, then it won't work
            anymore.
            http://www.musiclab.com/products/dtpd_info.htm

            Fills as far as I've worked out, you can have 4.

            If you wanted to create extra fills, you can actually use the
            import/export part or track functions in OMB to build up a bit of a
            library.
            ie you may have a basic style you like ie the intro's , endings &
            variations, but you'd like the same style with a different set of
            fills, all you do is create a set of additional fills & export them
            ( ie save them),
            then you do a clone of your style, delete the fills & import (load) the
            other set.

            Great way to mix n match any of the style parts, or tracks.

            I'm currently building up a bit of a library of drum tracks using omb
            import /export track function.

            I find that a lot of EMC converted styles for my psr1500 don't sound
            too great.
            So what I actually do is replace a poorly converted drum track with a
            drum track from one of my psr styles.

            Amazing the uses for omb.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 18, 2007
              Rikki, thanks again for your nice response.

              I have found that SGM180 soundfount sounds pretty good once its in
              an Ableton Live Midi track. I applied some of the compressor, and
              nice audio effects in Live to it and the sound has improved
              drastically. Specially for the drums.

              What I did was to use Midi yoke and have OMB send the output of midi
              track 10 to Ableton which is hosting SFZ, the soundfont player,
              which of course is using the SGM180 soundfont bank. I really liked
              the quality and the ability to not have to use an external hardware
              sound generator. I am doing some more trials as to figure out which
              setup uses the least amount of CPU.

              I only wish I could find another soundfont to be able to surpass the
              quality of the SGM180.

              Now, Rikki, I got an idea. You know I own a Korg Trinity V3, which
              has some awsome sounding drumkits. Is there a way to turn each sound
              that is placed on each key of the keyboard into a soundfont? If I
              could do this, then that would really rock big time, cause not only
              would it be in GM but the sound quality would be truly impressive.
              You know, I have the Trinity Keyboard hooked up via digital output
              using 48khz resolution. I could even do the soundfont at 24 bits or
              even 32 bits but that would create huge files. Let me know if you
              think this could be possible.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 18, 2007
                Hi Musikman,
                not quite sure how your Trinity works.
                The only sample conversion software that I'm aware of that converts
                Trinity samples is Chicken Systems.
                Whether or not the free version will do it or not, I don't know.
                I'll give you the link anyway.

                http://tinyurl.com/2glfog

                Would also depend whether the drum kit sounds are actual samples that
                can be converted, or whether they internal sounds.
                If not, the only other way would be to sample them yourself as a wav
                file & convert to soundfont format.

                Heaps of work involved & unless you know what you're doing, I think
                you'd have negligable results.

                I tried converting a set of gm giga samples to soundfont format using
                a sample convertor, some worked ok , most were fairly awful.

                Might actually be easier to replace the drum sounds you don't like
                in the sgm180 font with ones that you do using an editor.

                I was fairly involved with soundfonts last year. I still use them,
                but currently I probably use my keyboards more. I've stopped
                experimenting to the same degree as I used to.

                Might be worth checking some of the old Synthzone posts, I used to
                prattle on a fair bit about fonts etc, the same enthusiasm for fonts
                wasn't really shared by others so the chatter sort of died away.

                Rather than bore others that may not be interested in soundfonts, I
                moderate the software arranger forum at synthzone
                http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum43/HTML/000023.html
                if I can be of any help , happy to do so, though I'll probably need
                to get my thinking cap back on haa haa.

                <musikman4christ@...> wrote:

                > Now, Rikki, I got an idea. You know I own a Korg Trinity V3, which
                > has some awsome sounding drumkits. Is there a way to turn each
                sound
                > that is placed on each key of the keyboard into a soundfont? If I
                > could do this, then that would really rock big time, cause not only
                > would it be in GM but the sound quality would be truly impressive.
                > You know, I have the Trinity Keyboard hooked up via digital output
                > using 48khz resolution. I could even do the soundfont at 24 bits or
                > even 32 bits but that would create huge files. Let me know if you
                > think this could be possible.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Musikman

              • Claude Veziau
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                  Hi Musikman,

                  There's plenty of help on how to create soundfonts and even a few software (free and not free) to compile them. You could try for example Vienna Sound Font Studio developped by Creative, I don't have the link but just do an internet search with the above words as keywords and you'll easily find it, it's free and they have very good tutorials included in the progam download package. And there are many good forums on making sound fonts. Try www.syntfont.com for starters and see what's up.

                  Regards,

                  Claude Veziau

                  <rikkisbears@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi Musikman
                  > Musiclab drum tools is quite an interesting one. I tried the demo
                  > version a year or so ago, but at that stage OMB didn't support
                  vst's &
                  > dxi's.
                  > you can really only try it once for 20 days or so, then it won't
                  work
                  > anymore.
                  > http://www.musiclab .com/products/ dtpd_info. htm
                  >
                  > Fills as far as I've worked out, you can have 4.
                  >
                  > If you wanted to create extra fills, you can actually use the
                  > import/export part or track functions in OMB to build up a bit of
                  > library.
                  > ie you may have a basic style you like ie the intro's , endings &
                  > variations, but you'd like the same style with a different set of
                  > fills, all you do is create a set of additional fills & export
                  them
                  > ( ie save them),
                  > then you do a clone of your style, delete the fills & import
                  (load) the
                  > other set.
                  >
                  > Great way to mix n match any of the style parts, or tracks.
                  >
                  > I'm currently building up a bit of a library of drum tracks using
                  omb
                  > import /export track function.
                  >
                  > I find that a lot of EMC converted styles for my psr1500 don't
                  sound
                  > too great.
                  > So what I actually do is replace a poorly converted drum track
                  with a
                  > drum track from one of my psr styles.
                  >
                  > Amazing the uses for omb.
                  >
                  > best wishes
                  > rikki
                  >
                  > --- In onemanbandgroup@ yahoogroups. com, "musikman4christ"
                  > <musikman4christ@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello Rikki,
                  > >

                  > > By the way, this is a bit off topic, is there a limit on how many
                  > > fills one can program in OMB?
                  > >

                  > > Best regards,
                  > > Musikman

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Rikki King
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                    Hi,
                    sorry for butting in,
                    if I'm not mistaken, to use Creative's "Vienna" you actually have to
                    have a creative soundcard like Audigy or Soundblaster Live etc
                    installed??
                    My new laptop came with a software version of Audigy already
                    installed, it loads fonts directly & Vienna works with it..

                    Claude, thanks for the reminder on Synthfont, Kenneth has his own
                    version of "Viena" different program, but is also a soundfont editor,
                    and it doesn't require a Creative soundcard.
                    http://www.synthfont.com/
                    I used to always get the 2 programs confused.

                    best wishes
                    Rikki

                    --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, Claude Veziau <cveziau@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Musikman,

                  • Claude Veziau
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                      Hi Rikki, joining this posting, not butting in at all. You're right on the button, Creative's Vienna needs to have one of their product installed which I assumed Musikman has, if he/she can work with sound fonts, either that or Steven Rundt's excellent Synthfont program which can play sound fonts (without even a soundcard installed) (I wonder how we can hear the results though!) and also has its own version of soundfont creator called Viena (only one "n").

                      I haven't tried to make soundfonts yet as there are so many very good freebies all over the web and I'm quite content with the few thousand I've downloaded to date. www.sf2midi.com is one very good site for free soundfonts. Others are listed on Steven's links page and yet thousands of other downloads can be found by simply putting "soundfonts" as a search word in google search. And I'm not even about to mention what can be found on a peer-to-peer files sharing network ;-)...

                      Musikman could just try out some very "live" drum banks and forget about making them from scratch, in the excitement.

                      Cheers,

                      Claude

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                        Thanks friends for the responses. I appreciate all the ideas and input.

                        You know, I think I give up the idea of making soundfonts. I think Im
                        just going to try the ones that are for free at the link Claude gave us.
                        Otherwise, im just going to continue using the SGM180 on and apply good
                        effects to the drums in Ableton live.

                        I just wonder what you meant by "live" drums?
                      • Rikki King
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                          Hi Claude,
                          I think what Rundt meant, was you don't need a Creative soundcard
                          installed.
                          Synthfont was a great way of using soundfonts on laptops, which
                          normally don't come with creative soundcards.

                          I used to have to use a fairly complicated software setup up to run
                          them , eventually creative brought out the audigy nx2 usb card which
                          simplified things.

                          My newer dell laptop actually has some sort of audigy software pre
                          installed. Only problem is the latency is too high to use it
                          successfully with omb in realtime, so I'm back to the prior software
                          setup I used to use.

                          As you mentioned there's a brilliant assortment of soundfonts available
                          for free, plus there's some very good commercial ones.

                          I've literally got giga bytes of them, though most of mine are
                          commercial.

                          Apart from my normal free & commercial gm banks,
                          I also found a company that actually has created fonts from
                          Korg M1 Synth
                          Triton Orchestral Bank
                          Matrix Synth
                          and a couple of Ambient Synth banks,( reminds me a bit of the
                          Wavestation sounds)
                          They're not madly expensive either. Far cheaper than buying the
                          original synths. haa haa

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                            Hi Musikman,
                            I think making them would really not be worth the effort.

                            Could still be worth your while checking out the " Viena" editor or a
                            soundfont librarian so that you could build up a personalized
                            soundfont bank, or maybe even edit the sgm 180 drums to suit.

                            One of my soundfont banks actually has a brilliant drumset in the way
                            it's been mapped. Some of the gm drum banks I find are really
                            difficult to work out how they've created them. This particular one
                            is so simple to work out, I can just replace the original sample with
                            a drum sample from one of the other fonts, I can slowly build up a
                            custom drum font replacing samples as I go . For instance, some of
                            the brush swish samples are really awful, if I come across a better
                            one, I just replace the existing.

                            There is so much you can do with soundfonts.

                            best wishes
                            Rikki

                            --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, "musikman4christ"

                          • Claude Veziau
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 19, 2007
                              Maybe that's it Rikki.

                              Well I still use synthfont very much to play and render my song to wave as individual tracks. I find it faster and as efficient as anything else I've encountered to date. Then I open each wave in Adobe audition multitrack to do the mix and mixdown to stereo wav.

                              I aslo use mastering programs to polish everything up before burning to CD.

                              I know what you mean about latency on a portable, I tried many setups and even XP tweaks to keep the PC as dedicated as possible. The best USB interface I found is the Tascam US122 which gives a latency of about 24ms, pretty good with soundfonts but no way with VST instruments. A good program with low latency is Tascam's Giga studio 3.0 with the setback of having to limit the number of instruments because of the CPU instability, I would need a second HD installed but no way you can do that in a portable and USB hard drives just aren't fast enough for music purposes.

                              My most stable machine remains my trusty ol' Windows98SE  equipped with Audigy 2ZS soundcard. I never have any latency trouble nor even audio glitches with this PC some would call a dinosaur. Still, on 1 GB of ram and 1400 ghz, I only experience midi latency on a few VSTis and then this is almost negligible. Too bad most newer sound libraries are no longer supporting 98... they make a mint with me, same thing with audio and midi software, I'm stuck with the old versions. Playing live with OMB on this PC is so stable you would believe it. XGworks gives me all the midi editing power I need.

                              I even tried XP on a desktop PC and didn't like it because of all the so-called "services" eating up si much CPU makes it almost unusable as such with music, unless you do a clean XP installation and devote the PC exclusively to being a DAW, removing all the unnecessary baubles such as internet, screen savers, firewalls, etc.

                              This is my next major move, to have a computer only for music purposes and nothing else. But I'll have it built customised for my needs.

                              Cheers,

                              Claude

                              I think what Rundt meant, was you don't need a Creative soundcard
                              installed.
                              Synthfont was a great way of using soundfonts on laptops, which
                              normally don't come with creative soundcards.

                              I used to have to use a fairly complicated software setup up to run
                              them , eventually creative brought out the audigy nx2 usb card which
                              simplified things.

                              .

                              Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            • Rikki King
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 20, 2007
                                Hi Claude,
                                actually if I use my Audiophile with Brainspawn Forte/ Live Synth pro
                                software etc to host my soundfonts, I don't appear have a latency
                                problem. I can quite comfortably have a mix of keyboard & soundfont
                                tracks playing style parts. On the other hand using the internal card
                                with the pre loaded Audigy software, the delay is very noticeable,
                                (totally unuseable) which was rather dissapointing.
                                I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy a cpu hungry sample player.

                                best wishes
                                Rikki

                                p.s.
                                i still use xgworks also, but I'm also using Powertracks 12.
                                Has a great new function that splits a drum track into seperate
                                tracks ie 1 drum type per track. Great for editing.
                                I think I may have mentioned gn midi did it, now, so does PT12.

                                --- In onemanbandgroup@yahoogroups.com, Claude Veziau <cveziau@...>

                              • Claude Veziau
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 21, 2007
                                  Hi Rikki,

                                  I do have Forte and Ultimate plugsound plug ins and standalones but I don't like most of their sounds (my personal taste, I guess) so I do a lot of mix n' match and make my own banks with Soundfont Librarian and I like to play live and sequence in real time. As a pianist (some would say 'piano player'), the best piano sound I found was and is the Sonic Implants SB piano soundfont, though I've tried some of the best so-called pro pianos. I have my sights on getting the True piano plug in and standalone from 4Front, I got the demo andwill give it a shot. The video demo on their site blasted me.

                                  Actually I bought gn midi when it first came out and still use it and update it. Also Powertarcks was my very first sequencing program and I still have PT10 but almost don't use it anymore because of the hassle it is to handle piano roll editing, XGWorks does that so much easier, I find.

                                  In any case, all this is a matter of preference, as long as we make music the way we like it, who cares which software we use? (grin)

[...]

                                  wrote:

                                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                • Rikki King
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 21, 2007
                                    Hi Claude ,
                                    are we referring to the same "Forte" ( Brainspawn ) it's a vst/dxi
                                    etc host, doesn't actually have sounds?

                                    I tried the True Piano demo when it first came out, beautiful piano.
                                    Even worked flawlessly with my laptop/audiophile card ie no
                                    detectable latency. Only reason I didn't buy it ,I have a top of the
                                    range Clavinova ( CLP, no styles). When I played the True Piano demo
                                    thru the clavinova 's sound system I could barely tell the difference
                                    as to which one I was playing. Pretty amazing a $6,000 AUD Clavinova
                                    against a $200 AUD piece of software. Could have saved myself a
                                    fortune haa haa.

                                    I have Sonic Implants GM Font or are you referring to a dedicated
                                    piano font?
                                    Amazingly for style piano parts my favourite is the sgm128 piano.
                                    Very small, pretty bland but it works well in arpeggiated psr piano
                                    styles.

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Rikki,
                                    >
                                    > I do have Forte and Ultimate plugsound plug ins and standalones but
                                    I don't like most of their sounds (my personal taste, I guess) so I
                                    do a lot of mix n' match and make my own banks with Soundfont
                                    Librarian and I like to play live and sequence in real time. As a
                                    pianist (some would say 'piano player'), the best piano sound I found
                                    was and is the Sonic Implants SB piano soundfont, though I've tried
                                    some of the best so-called pro pianos. I have my sights on getting
                                    the True piano plug in and standalone from 4Front, I got the demo
                                    andwill give it a shot. The video demo on their site blasted me.

                                  • musikman f
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
                                      Hi Rikki,

                                      I have been using OMB 10.0 lately and while now my PC can handle more tracks and stuff, when I try to import tracks in OMB in the style editor OMB crashes to desktop. Completely. No matter how many times I try or if I use other styles, it crashes all the time as I try to import a track from another style. Does this happen to you?

                                      Thanks,

                                      Musikman