Huntingtons Advice Please

  • karlmprice
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hi

      Everyone I am 22 years old and for some reason i am really scared i
      have HD.

      I am currently suffering from depression and am on antidepressants
      but alo now and again i get jumpy movements of my head, arms, legs
      etc not very often and it onlys last for a second.
      Both of my parents are in their 40's and are healthy and one set of
      my grandpaents are still alive and their are fairly healthy.
      And my other nan is in her 60's and she is fairly healthy as well if
      my grandparents and parents does that mean im not at any risk of
      developing the disease.
      Or is it possible to skip my grandparents and goto my parents? but
      wouldnt my parent sbe showing symptoms by now?
      And is it possible for HD to skip my grandparents and parents then
      come to me?
      How do you know if their is a fmaily history of the disease.
      If their is no family history what are the chances of getting HD?
      Please give me some advice on this matter please t put my mind at
      rest.
      Thanks

      Karl.

      --- In onebighuntingtonsfamily@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Hutt
      <carebear22_00@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Donna,
      > I think it would be really hard for any of us to say what stage
      your friend is in since we cant see her or dont know her. I am
      surprised the Doctor does not tell her what stage she is in. Your
      friend knows she has HD but does not want to know about it? Is she in
      denial?
      > My Mom has HD and has been diagonsed for about 5 years now. I think
      everyone progresses differently, i have watched my Mom go down hill
      very quickly. I can answer any questions you have from my own
      experience. If you want to email me my address is carebear22_00@y...

      > Colleen
      >
      > shirlydonna <shirlydonna@y...> wrote:
      > can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through.
      > go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
      > and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
      > doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
      > any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been
      unwell
      > for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is
      slurred,
      > shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
      > drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in
      weight
      > but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
      > scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
      > DONNA
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > colleen

    • Tara Bintliff
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
        Hey
        I'll do my best to answer what I can.....

        Theres a lot of young people I know who are on anti depressants who have
        tested negative for hd... even thought they thought they had it...

        Theres also so many young people on antidepressants that don't have
        anything to do with hd...

        Theres a gray zone when it comes to hd.. I'll add some links here for u
        to read about it... instead of trying to explain it.

        http://huntingtondisease.tripod.com/genetictesting/id73.html
        u may also find some info here http://hdlighthouse.org/abouthd/cag/

        another site you may want to check out is the national youth alliance..
        its for youth aged 9-29 who are at risk, tested negative, tested
        positive have friends, not at risk etc for hd.
        http://huntingtondisease.tripod.com/nya/id1.html

        it's a great place to meet people your own age in your situation...

        im part of it.. im 24.. and at risk, my mom has hd.

        If you want to talk feel free to message me anytime.

        Regards

        Tara

        <carebear22_00@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Donna,
        > I think it would be really hard for any of us to say what stage
        your friend is in since we cant see her or dont know her. I am
        surprised the Doctor does not tell her what stage she is in. Your
        friend knows she has HD but does not want to know about it? Is she in
        denial?
        > My Mom has HD and has been diagonsed for about 5 years now. I think
        everyone progresses differently, i have watched my Mom go down hill
        very quickly. I can answer any questions you have from my own
        experience. If you want to email me my address is carebear22_00@y...

        > Colleen
        >
        > shirlydonna <shirlydonna@y...> wrote:
        > can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through.
        > go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
        > and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
        > doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
        > any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been
        unwell
        > for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is
        slurred,
        > shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
        > drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in
        weight
        > but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
        > scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
        > DONNA
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

        > colleen

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • shabs96@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
          Hi Karl.
          You have nothing to fear..at least where HD is concerned. Huntington's is a genetic disease, so it is passed on through the genes of a parent. Hd is a very odd gene. It doesn't follow the normal traits of genetics. Basically, a person cannot carry the gene. They either have it or they don't. I, myself, am 21 and at risk. My father died of HD in june of 2003, and i am preparing to begin the testing process, which starts the end of this month.
          -Shannon

          ps. thanks for the link, tara. I'm gonna check it out too!
        • karlmprice
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
            Thanks for your message shannon.

            So are you saying that i basically no chance of having huntingtons as
            my parents are in their 40's and are healthy and dont have HD and
            because my grandparents are in their 60's fairly healthy and dont
            have HD and to my knowledge there is no family history.
            If there is no family history can you still get HD?
            I dont even know im worried i may have HD its just becuase ive read
            up on it and i am suffering depression and on antidepressants plus i
            have some dodgy jumpy movements now and again.
            My dads uncle is 80 and healthy too so on the basis of the info i
            have given you my parents are 42, grandparents are in their 60's
            other nan in her 60's and my other grandad died at 70 years old from
            cancer plus all my other relatives are healthy.
            Does this mean that HD does not run in my family i was thinking maybe
            my parents could have HD for some reason and havent been diagnosed
            but none of their relatives or parents have HD so im probably being
            stupid and getting worried for no reason at all.

            Any comments from anyone would be much aprreciated.