advice please

  • shirlydonna
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
      can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through. I
      go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
      and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
      doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
      any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been unwell
      for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is slurred,
      shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
      drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in weight
      but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
      scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
      DONNA
    • Colleen Hutt
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
        Hi Donna,
        I think it would be really hard for any of us to say what stage your friend is in since we cant see her or dont know her. I am surprised the Doctor does not tell her what stage she is in. Your friend knows she has HD but does not want to know about it? Is she in denial?
        My Mom has HD and has been diagonsed for about 5 years now. I think everyone progresses differently, i have watched my Mom go down hill very quickly. I can answer any questions you have from my own experience. If you want to email me my address is carebear22_00@....

        Colleen

        shirlydonna <shirlydonna@...> wrote:
        can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through. I
        go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
        and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
        doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
        any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been unwell
        for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is slurred,
        shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
        drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in weight
        but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
        scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
        DONNA

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        colleen

      • karlmprice
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
          Hi

          Everyone I am 22 years old and for some reason i am really scared i
          have HD.

          I am currently suffering from depression and am on antidepressants
          but alo now and again i get jumpy movements of my head, arms, legs
          etc not very often and it onlys last for a second.
          Both of my parents are in their 40's and are healthy and one set of
          my grandpaents are still alive and their are fairly healthy.
          And my other nan is in her 60's and she is fairly healthy as well if
          my grandparents and parents does that mean im not at any risk of
          developing the disease.
          Or is it possible to skip my grandparents and goto my parents? but
          wouldnt my parent sbe showing symptoms by now?
          And is it possible for HD to skip my grandparents and parents then
          come to me?
          How do you know if their is a fmaily history of the disease.
          If their is no family history what are the chances of getting HD?
          Please give me some advice on this matter please t put my mind at
          rest.
          Thanks

          Karl.

          --- In onebighuntingtonsfamily@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Hutt
          experience. If you want to email me my address is carebear22_00@y...

          > Colleen
          >
          > shirlydonna <shirlydonna@y...> wrote:
          > can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through.
          > go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
          > and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
          > doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
          > any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been
          unwell
          > for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is
          slurred,
          > shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
          > drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in
          weight
          > but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
          > scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
          > DONNA
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

          > colleen

        • Tara Bintliff
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
            Hey
            I'll do my best to answer what I can.....

            Theres a lot of young people I know who are on anti depressants who have
            tested negative for hd... even thought they thought they had it...

            Theres also so many young people on antidepressants that don't have
            anything to do with hd...

            Theres a gray zone when it comes to hd.. I'll add some links here for u
            to read about it... instead of trying to explain it.

            http://huntingtondisease.tripod.com/genetictesting/id73.html
            u may also find some info here http://hdlighthouse.org/abouthd/cag/

            another site you may want to check out is the national youth alliance..
            its for youth aged 9-29 who are at risk, tested negative, tested
            positive have friends, not at risk etc for hd.
            http://huntingtondisease.tripod.com/nya/id1.html

            it's a great place to meet people your own age in your situation...

            im part of it.. im 24.. and at risk, my mom has hd.

            If you want to talk feel free to message me anytime.

            Regards

            Tara

            <carebear22_00@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Donna,
            > I think it would be really hard for any of us to say what stage
            your friend is in since we cant see her or dont know her. I am
            surprised the Doctor does not tell her what stage she is in. Your
            friend knows she has HD but does not want to know about it? Is she in
            denial?
            > My Mom has HD and has been diagonsed for about 5 years now. I think
            everyone progresses differently, i have watched my Mom go down hill
            very quickly. I can answer any questions you have from my own
            experience. If you want to email me my address is carebear22_00@y...

            > Colleen
            >
            > shirlydonna <shirlydonna@y...> wrote:
            > can any one help me to understand what my friend is going through.
            > go to hospital appointments with her, but she doesn't ask questions
            > and i don't like to ask any. in case it upsets her. She says she
            > doesn't want to know, but then she ask's me thing's and i don't no
            > any ansewers. She was diagnosed three years ago but has been
            unwell
            > for the past 10 years. How advanced is she? Her talking is
            slurred,
            > shes lost her taste and smell. her movements are controlled with a
            > drug and she is on antidepessents. She went down to 6 stone in
            weight
            > but is now putting on weight. Her husband left her and her sons are
            > scarred and dont want to know PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP HER.
            > DONNA
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            > colleen

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • shabs96@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
              Hi Karl.
              You have nothing to fear..at least where HD is concerned. Huntington's is a genetic disease, so it is passed on through the genes of a parent. Hd is a very odd gene. It doesn't follow the normal traits of genetics. Basically, a person cannot carry the gene. They either have it or they don't. I, myself, am 21 and at risk. My father died of HD in june of 2003, and i am preparing to begin the testing process, which starts the end of this month.
              -Shannon

              ps. thanks for the link, tara. I'm gonna check it out too!
            • karlmprice
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
                Thanks for your message shannon.

                So are you saying that i basically no chance of having huntingtons as
                my parents are in their 40's and are healthy and dont have HD and
                because my grandparents are in their 60's fairly healthy and dont
                have HD and to my knowledge there is no family history.
                If there is no family history can you still get HD?
                I dont even know im worried i may have HD its just becuase ive read
                up on it and i am suffering depression and on antidepressants plus i
                have some dodgy jumpy movements now and again.
                My dads uncle is 80 and healthy too so on the basis of the info i
                have given you my parents are 42, grandparents are in their 60's
                other nan in her 60's and my other grandad died at 70 years old from
                cancer plus all my other relatives are healthy.
                Does this mean that HD does not run in my family i was thinking maybe
                my parents could have HD for some reason and havent been diagnosed
                but none of their relatives or parents have HD so im probably being
                stupid and getting worried for no reason at all.

                Any comments from anyone would be much aprreciated.