HDDW's recent articles of interest!

  • Jean E. Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      There are three new articles up on the HDDW website written by Dr. LaVonne Veatch Goodman. The first talks about what CHDI is up to and provides some insight on why we haven't heard much about their drugs going into trial. The 2nd discusses the importance of all HD families participating in Clinical Trials. Both Part 1 and Part 2 are excellent resources to share with your HD support groups!

      Thank you LaVonne for keeping us all informed!!!

      Lighting the Candle: Part 1 - Sept 25, 2008 by LaVonne Veatch Goodman
      http://hddrugworks.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=30
      When NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration launches a rocket into space they call it "lighting the candle". This is the awesome moment after years of careful planning, testing and retesting -- they decide to push the ignition button. Launching a drug into clinical trial for

      Huntington's is a similar situation. It takes years of science, planning, testing and retesting before decisions are made to start a clinical trial.
      How are decisions made to launch a drug candidate into clinical trial? Have you wondered why CHDI has not yet decided to "light a candle" with one of their drug candidates? As a recent observer at a CHDI working group, I had a chance to look at part of what goes into this decision-making process. What does it take to light a candle? It depends . . .

      Lighting the Candle, Part 2: Keeping the Flame Alive - September 26, 2008 by LaVonne Goodman M.D.
      http://hddrugworks.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=237&Itemid=30
      In the recent HDDW article "Lighting the Candle" of clinical trials for Huntington's, we placed emphasis on the work of HSG, CHDI and other sponsors. Of course they are all important, but in the end the most vital part of clinical trials belongs to the Huntington family community: It will be us who keep the flames alive.
      Because no matter who lights the candle, even the best drug candidates, or the most improved clinical trial designs, of the perfect biomarkers -- all of these things will make no difference -- if we don't support and join clinical trials. Here's how to begin . .

      Progress on Eye Movement Biomarkers - Sept 19, 2008 by LaVonne Veatch Goodman M.D.
      http://hddrugworks.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=235&Itemid=30
      A couple of years ago we reviewed articles on eye movement abnormalities as potential biomarkers for use in Huntington clinical trials. This week we report on a pilot study out of Cambridge, England that combines specific eye movements with a cognitive (thinking) task.