Need Your Experience Applying for Disability DUE Tomorrow

  • Jean E. Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2007
      I apologize if this is a duplicate message, but it's an important one! Katie
      Moser, who we all know and love as the young lady from the NY Times article
      "Facing Life with a Lethal Gene" and her interview on ABC's "The View"
      posted the below to the Yahoo NYA on-line group.

      This is a GREAT opportunity for YOU to provide feedback on your personnel
      experiences trying to apply for SSDI! If you represent an HDSA Chapter, CoE
      or HD support group, please try to collect messages from your group and
      email them to Katie by tomorrow! Thank you!
      Jean

      Subject: SSDI Issues
      Date: Wed Sep 5, 2007 6:25 pm ((PDT))
      From: Katie Moser katharine_moser@...

      I'm on a committee that's working to make changes to the current definition
      of HD in government literature. I'm not sure anyone would have had the
      experience of applying for disability for someone with HD, but I figured I'd
      ask. This is from an e-mail asking me to help collect information:

      "SSA is asking several patient groups such as HDSA for public comments (by
      October 1st) on standards and methods that can be used for identifying these
      severely disabled applicants. During this time, we are asking you to collect
      statements of about 150 words from your community about how individuals with
      HD were severely disabled by the psychological, emotional/behavioral or
      movement disorders of the disease and were denied SSDI even though they were
      clearly disabled."

      If anyone would be able to send me a short statement about your experience,
      that would be greatly appreciated. I do need it soon, by like Friday (sorry
      this is so late, I was in Disney World).

      E-mail me at katharine_moser@... Please put SSDI in the subject
      ling of your message.

      Thanks,
      Katie