Simple personal network map software?

  • kathleenmarvin2007
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2010
      I'm a career coach wondering if anyone has yet developed some simple mapping software to represent an individual's network. It may never be used to gather data like with ONA sw, but would be used to create a visual map for my non-profit client of how information and funding is flowing within her state-wide network, now becoming national.

      I've been out of touch with this group for some time, so I may have missed information on this topic.

      Thanks
      Kathleen
      www.working-life.biz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2010

        Hi, Kathleen,

        I’m not clear about whether you want to map the relationships between people, or to map the exchanges within the network. It almost sounds like you want a value network analysis http://valuenetworks.com/  VNA (maps the roles in a network (rather than individuals) and the tangible and intangible exchanges (information, funding, contracts, etc.) among them.  There is a pretty simple tool for generating value network maps (though you have to purchase the product  http://buyvaluenetworks.com/).

        ONA Surveys (Http://www.onasurveys.com) lets you create a survey in which people can enter the names of people, but does not yet (to my knowledge) let you draw the relationships among those people. I think this software is still available on a trial basis.

        I’d be very interested if there are any tools out there that are simpler to use and set up (and free, or nearly so).

        /patti

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2010
          Patty, I think you're right. I was in touch with Verna a few years back, and I see now from your link that her product and business have evolved considerably, which is wonderful. I can imagine VNA being quite useful in the non-profit world.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2010
            Kathleen,

            If you are looking to map an individual network, take a look at this blog post, showing our InFlow software. This map was drawn while interviewing the client.

            http://bit.ly/czAQod

            In addition to data import, and survey dialogs, InFlow allows you to enter network data by "drawing the network" (adding nodes and links with the mouse and completing a pop-up dialog box for node and link attributes). If you are gathering data from various sources over a period of time this may be an easy way to build your network. This is how I built the 9-11 hijacker network during Sept/Oct/No of 2001 -- http://bit.ly/iLpzj

            More on InFlow...
            http://orgnet.com/inflow3.html

            Valdis Krebs
            http://orgnet.com