Large networks-questionnare

  • Pawel
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      We have been recently asked to design ONA survey for about 2000 respondents. We are supposed to analyze both collaboration and problem solving networks. It seems to be a quite challenging task because in this case a simple questionnaire with a list of all workers would be too large and too exhaustive.

      We think about two options. For collaboration we consider dividing people into several groups (e.g. divisions, departments etc.) and ask firstly whether they have cooperated with anybody from particular department if so they would be asked to indicate workers. However I am not sure if it is not too large anyway. In case of questions on problem solving we think about giving open questions without listing names.

      I would be grateful for any suggestions and tips regarding questionnaires designed for large population. Any references to relevant materials would be appreciated as well.

      Many thanks for your help,

      Pawel Stepka
      www.episteme.com.pl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010

        Hi,

        I believe that the software developed by Rob Cross at the University of Virginia is available for consultants to use on a per-person price when doing a survey.  One of the key features of that survey software is that it provides for handling very large organizations. It does a bit of what you propose to do, which is to separate people into organization categories, so that people only have to answer questions about people that are in departments that they have worked with.

        See http://www.crossanalytics.com. The contact listed is: richard.coyte@....

        I’d love to hear from others about what they have tried as well.

        /patti

        Patti Anklam

        Net Work: Leveraging Content, Knowledge and Networks

        Harvard, MA 01451

        +1(978)456-4175

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
          Pawel,

          Can I ask why you are producing these analyses? What is the output expected to be & what are you then going to do with them?

          If it's to illustrate issues in the network then some kind of sampling approach might might. If it's to identify specific people then you may need to survey all 2000.

          Cheers,

          Matt

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010

            Pawel,

            I suggest you read “The Invisible Organization – How Informal Networks can Lead Organizational Change” by Neil Famer. He propose that rather than using a complete data collection methodology an iterative interview approach should be used. This process begins by interviewing known change champions. They are asked who the change positive and open-minded influencers in the organisation are. These individuals are then interviewed, with the process being repeated until no new names emerge. The idea is to, quickly and accurately, identify change-positive, as opposed to change-negative, influencers with extensive local personal networks. The resultant networks are then mapped and key players identified. These people are then used to weave the network and create a high-performance workplace with deep leadership.

            Of course if this is not your intent then the method as described will require modification.

            Regards

            Graham

            Graham Durant-Law

            Knowledge Matters

            Mobile: 0408 975 795

            E-Mail:  graham@...

            Web:    www.durantlaw.info

            The content of this e-mail and any attachments may be privileged, in confidence or sensitive.   Any unauthorised use is expressly prohibited.   If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, disregard, and delete the e-mail. This e-mail may be corrupted or interfered with.   No warranty is made that this e-mail and its contents are free from computer viruses or other defects.