Gartner Forecast

  • John Maloney
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2 8:33 AM

      Hi – For once, I’m speechless...

      Through 2015, only 25 percent of enterprises will routinely utilize social network analysis to improve performance and productivity.

      Social network analysis is a useful methodology for examining the interaction patterns and information flows that occur among the people and groups in an organization, as well as among business partners and customers. However, when surveys are used for data collection, users may be reluctant to provide accurate responses. When automated tools perform the analysis, users may resent knowing that software is analyzing their behavior. For these reasons, social network analysis will remain an untapped source of insight in most organizations.

      Before undertaking a social network analysis, Gartner recommends that the organization ensure that it has the trust and buy-in of the people it hopes to include in the analysis in advance. Issues of privacy and confidentiality must be addressed and a determination needs to be made regarding how the information will be used and communicated. Establishing the ground rules upfront will encourage more open and honest participation and reduce the resistance to ongoing relationship monitoring.

      http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1293114

      Cordially,

      John

      jtm

      John Maloney, co-founder

      cid:image001.jpg@01C8EDA3.31CA1AC0
      Mail: http://1id.com/=jheuristic

      Web: http://www.valuenetworks.com

      Blog: http://networksingularity.com

      Twitter: http://twitter.com/jheuristic

      Tel:  415.902.9676

      Fax: 415.276.6074

      Skype: jheuristic

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3 5:35 AM

        Speechless why?  25% sounds like a lot? (It does to me)

        /patti

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3 8:21 AM
          Patii, John,

          Thanks for sharing the Gartner research. 25% is great news, however it is the rest of the blurb that has me concerned, particularly highlighted.

          Organizational surveys are one of the founding blocks of the field of organization development starting with Rensis Likert in the late 1940's.  I would hope the ONA/SNA practitioners take a page from OD survey wizards and not reinvent the wheel.

          However, when surveys are used for data collection, users may be reluctant to provide accurate responses. When automated tools perform the analysis, users may resent knowing that software is analyzing their behavior. For these reasons, social network analysis will remain an untapped source of insight in most organizations.

          Before undertaking a social network analysis, Gartner recommends that the organization ensure that it has the trust and buy-in of the people it hopes to include in the analysis in advance. Issues of privacy and confidentiality must be addressed and a determination needs to be made regarding how the information will be used and communicated. Establishing the ground rules upfront will encourage more open and honest participation and reduce the resistance to ongoing relationship monitoring.

          We need to move from buy-in to co-creating. I have found, as well as my colleagues who are pros with org suveys, that when organization members are co-creators from  survey design through to using the data, participation rates soar as does action on results. For the benefit of a great emerging field of ONA/SNA, let's stand on the lessons learned from 50+ years of organization survey work.  Adoption will only get better.

          Victoria

          Victoria G. Axelrod, Principal
          Axelrod Becker Consulting
          445 East 86th Street
          New York, NY 10028
          www.axelrodbecker.com
          212 - 369 - 2885
          Blog: 21st Century Organization http://c21org.typepad.com
          Slideshare.net/ vaxelrod

[...]

          <image001.jpg>

          John Maloney, co-founder

          <image002.jpg>

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3 8:37 AM

            Hi Patti – 25% is a lot, but 60 months is pretty far away. Anecdotally, I would peg it at 25% today, and 100% in 5-years. The problem is Gartner is specifically an IT analysis and advisory firm. Recall, Gartner believes SNA will remain in the ‘Trough of Disillusionment’ for at least the next 2-5 yrs. Also, over the last decade, IT orgs haven’t exactly been on the leading edge of org analysis or leadership. Thus, from the rigid IT dept’s (risk management) perspective, the forecasted degree of network analysis utilization may been correct. For businesses, however, the real organizational leaders, the penetration of soc/org/val network analysis, in its many forms, is and will be much higher. Network analysis is simply an imperative as traditional organizing foundations such as authority, hierarchy, function and process are rapidly subsumed by collaboration, social media, interoperability and the network logic of business. Cheers, -j

            P.S. SNA even earned the utterly ridiculous ‘2.0’ suffix from Accenture in an institutional IT rag – http://bit.ly/bFbYFp. Woo-hoo!

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3 8:48 AM
              Good point Patti... wonder what the current % is? My guess is we are looking at 3-5X market growth...

              Valdis Krebs
              http://orgnet.com
              http://thenetworkthinker.com

              On Feb 3, 2010, at 8:35 AM, Patti Anklam wrote:

              > Speechless why? 25% sounds like a lot? (It does to me)
              >
              > /patti

            • John Maloney
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3 2:38 PM

                Hi Victoria –

                Yeah, thanks for pinpointing the ‘buy-in’ nonsense. Remember, buy-in is a code-word for control, e.g., do it my way or face the consequences. Buy-in is a 20th Century management term, best retired.

                To me, ‘buy-in’ always fails because of “…the continued use of a cause-and-affect machine metaphor when dealing with workers.”

                On the other hand, co-creation is “…an immersive, flexible biophysical and social environment.”

                BTW, even Gartner is trying to show some rare sensitivity and awareness to traditional IT dept hegemony. <gasp!>

                Here is a great article that is germane.

                http://www.knowledgeboard.com/item/3056

                It is also where I poached the quoted segments above since the author, Charles Ehin, put it better than I ever could!

                Co-creation is also a hallmark characteristic of value networks and specifically the VNA activity. Here are some other VN behaviors for the OD peeps.

                http://networksingularity.com/2009/07/06/value-networks-101-characteristics-and-behaviors.aspx

                Happy reading.

                Cordially,

                -j