Re: [ona-prac] SNA Software

  • Edward Vielmetti
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009
      Brian,

      The best way to get good results from network analysis
      tools is to find some simple layouts that you understand
      and then implement them in the tools that you are able
      to get your hands on.

      If you were to arrange the various tools on multidimensional
      scales, there would be these scales:

      * practical vs academic
      * plain vs magical
      * quantitative vs qualitative
      * Windows vs Linux
      * free as in beer vs free as in kittens
      * originally designed for x, now reusable for y
      * author has a master's degree vs author has a PhD
      * in English vs en Francais vs auf Deutsch vs ...

      As you know, if you pick enough axes to choose on,
      you can pick an axis of differentiation where your choice
      wins and where both alternatives presented to date are
      worse. I always liked Brian Reid's maps of Usenet from 1993,
      which had a strong geographical point of view; here's
      an interview with him
      http://www.giganews.com/usenet-history/reid.html
      where he doesn't even mention it at all.

      thanks

      Ed

      On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM, brianleclerc
      <brian.leclerc@...> wrote:
      > I am new in Network analysis. Does Inflow worth is price 1000$ compare to Unicef 6 which is free. In terms of price and perfomance which software is recommaded?
      >
      > Brian

      Edward Vielmetti
      Ann Arbor, MI

      +1 734 330 2465
    • John Maloney
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009

        Hi –

        Good advice on network analysis applications.

        I’ve always been of the opinion that it is more important how software technology is used versus how it works.

        It really makes sense to start with your desired outcome, then work backwards, since there is quite a variation of tools and their suitability to task. This approach makes selection easy.

        Here is an idea how VNA Professional Edition has been applied successfully for various opportunities. The SNA/ONA/VNA suite in Professional Edition It is focused on quickly achieving favorable outcomes in business, institutional, industrial and civil society settings.

        http://valuenetworks..com/public/item/229595

        Cheers,

        -j