Re: [ona-prac] SNA Software

  • Laurence Lock Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009
      Brian... There is a lot of free SNA software out there including the new NodeXL
      Template for MS Excel. For someone new to the craft the learning curve can be
      steep. If you have the time and the patience products like Netdraw will
      do the job. I am not an Inflow user but for the people I know that have, the value is in
      the coaching support Valdis Krebs provided on the 'craft' of SNA which for a new comer can be worth far more than the price of the software.

      So I guess it comes down to how fast you want to learn and the value you place on that.

      Laurie Lock Lee
      Optimice

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 31/03/2009, at 6:28 AM, "brianleclerc" <brian.leclerc@...> wrote:

      I am new in Network analysis. Does Inflow worth is price 1000$ compare to Unicef 6 which is free. In terms of price and perfomance which software is recommaded?

      Brian

    • Bob Bater
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009

        Brian,

        What is Unicef 6? Is it an SNA/ONA software application? Googling it turns up no useful results (what’s new? J). Please provide further information. Many thanks.

        Bob

        I am new in Network analysis. Does Inflow worth is price 1000$ compare to Unicef 6 which is free. In terms of price and perfomance which software is recommaded?

        Brian

      • John Eichert
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009
          I think what he is referring to is UCINET and NetDraw.

          --
          John Eichert
          Principal

          Check out these papers/articles about our work:
          Full article: http://www.msi.org/publications/publication.cfm?pub=1474
          Knowledge@Wharton article: http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=2170
        • brianleclerc
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009
            Hi Bob
            I am sorry wrong word. I am referring to Ucinet 6 which work with Netdraw
          • Bob Bater
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009

              John, Brian:

              Thanks for the clarification. I will investigate Ucinet 6. For the record, have you come across Agile Tribe http://www.agiletribe.com/? I’m currently exploring it as a particularly user-friendly SNA/ONA application. Not sure yet how far it extends into the ONA domain. But that’s why I’m looking at it.

              Regards,

              Bob

              I am sorry wrong word. I am referring to Ucinet 6 which work with Netdraw.

            • John Maloney
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009

                Hi –

                VNA Professional Edition™ (VNA/PE) offers all ONA/SNA functionality in a secure, hosted environment. Also important is its comprehensive open data model and API for mashups and interface with thousands of enterprise apps. There is a global user community. See:

                http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/229579

                Cheers,

                -j

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2009
                  Brian,

                  The best way to get good results from network analysis
                  tools is to find some simple layouts that you understand
                  and then implement them in the tools that you are able
                  to get your hands on.

                  If you were to arrange the various tools on multidimensional
                  scales, there would be these scales:

                  * practical vs academic
                  * plain vs magical
                  * quantitative vs qualitative
                  * Windows vs Linux
                  * free as in beer vs free as in kittens
                  * originally designed for x, now reusable for y
                  * author has a master's degree vs author has a PhD
                  * in English vs en Francais vs auf Deutsch vs ...

                  As you know, if you pick enough axes to choose on,
                  you can pick an axis of differentiation where your choice
                  wins and where both alternatives presented to date are
                  worse. I always liked Brian Reid's maps of Usenet from 1993,
                  which had a strong geographical point of view; here's
                  an interview with him
                  http://www.giganews.com/usenet-history/reid.html
                  where he doesn't even mention it at all.

                  thanks

                  Ed

                  On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM, brianleclerc
                  <brian.leclerc@...> wrote:
                  > I am new in Network analysis. Does Inflow worth is price 1000$ compare to Unicef 6 which is free. In terms of price and perfomance which software is recommaded?
                  >
                  > Brian

                  Edward Vielmetti
                  Ann Arbor, MI

                  +1 734 330 2465
                • John Maloney
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2009

                    Hi –

                    Good advice on network analysis applications.

                    I’ve always been of the opinion that it is more important how software technology is used versus how it works.

                    It really makes sense to start with your desired outcome, then work backwards, since there is quite a variation of tools and their suitability to task. This approach makes selection easy.

                    Here is an idea how VNA Professional Edition has been applied successfully for various opportunities. The SNA/ONA/VNA suite in Professional Edition It is focused on quickly achieving favorable outcomes in business, institutional, industrial and civil society settings.

                    http://valuenetworks..com/public/item/229595

                    Cheers,

                    -j