Re: Reciprocity: one relationship can be seen in more than one way

  • brian_s_grant
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2006

      The question of reciprocity (and the realistic reporting of it) can be difficult to untangle. Bruce's two questions on capturing reciprocity are great. I also discovered another way to look at the issue via a blog entry on Centrality  which tries to address attention networks as opposed to social networks. In other words, it looks at the value of "fandom" where the relationship is asymetrical yet important. The real issue, in that case, is one of power, and whether or not it's one of the aspects you're measuring in the network in question.

      Another point I'd like to make is the simple fact that two parties could report differently on the same relationship is significant in of itself. Each perception of the relationship is "real" to each party, no matter if you inform them otherwise, and their actions will be influenced by their perception unless they can be confronted with empirical proof otherwise (which still may not work). Such empirical proof could be gathered through data-mining techiques, but brings up other issues which I'm pleased to see have already been addressed in the Jump Start series.

      So, the real trick is to know when it's important to use perception (opinion) data versus computational (data-mined) data in the network being analyzed.