ONA experience within government social service agencies

  • Nat Welch
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2009
      Has anyone done an ONA in a social service agency (such as Child
      welfare or family services)?

      I would like to know what the three challenges were and how the
      employees reacted.

      Thanks.

      Nat Welch
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009

        A few years ago, I performed the analysis of SNA data collected by Mark Schenk of Anecdote. The target was a collection of social services agencies in Australia that supported the homeless. The survey form had gone to participants at a number of agencies. It asked respondents to list (free form) the other agencies and governmental entities with which they had contact.  The goal was to identify potential communities of practice as part of a knowledge strategy. The nodes in the survey were the agencies themselves, rather than the respondents. There were over 80 agencies and 160 responses between agencies in Queensland and Western Australia.

        I asked Mark to share what he learned from this, and with his permission, he offered the following:

        The ONA results were included in the knowledge strategy report for the homeless sector in Australia. As far as I am aware, the ONA results were not shown to the stakeholders so I can't help Nat with that aspect of her question. In terms of challenges, a big one was simplifying the diagrams sufficiently to make them more understandable and useful (and I am not sure I achieved that even with the effort we put in on that front). Another big challenge was the sheer number of stakeholders and inconsistencies in how they were referred to (resulting in data quality challenges). If I had my time again, I would insist on making the ONA much more compact in terms of scope - fewer questions and clearer intent. They wanted to explore too many dimensions resulting in none of them being very useful. The results left the client wondering about the value they derived from the ONA.

        // end of Mark’s quote

        /patti

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2009
          Hi Patti

          this is not about ONA results - but about my observations of the community services sector in Australia from 12 years as an elected local authority alderman-councillor going back to 1989- when I found myself in various roles - Management Boards for Community Development Project, Community Housing &  WHO Healthy Cities, plus Advisory Committees for Youth / Access (Disability) etc etc

          the community services sector had coined the phrases - social capital and community development 10-20 years ago -so  I found it intriguing when I found the Knowledge Management community had appropriated the phrase social capital and applied it within an organization as SNA and ONA - they were focused on building capacity so that the community could advocate for itself rather than a paternalistic model where the community services workers did everything for an uniformed populace - back in 1989 my eyes were opened really wide to how they were doing things - it is an approach that I adopted as an elected rep - "showing people how to fish rather than doling out a few fish here and there"

          - so I observed that community services workers often worked on an interagency basis - whereby it was the opposite of the silo model - they would have interagency networking days - where groups from different state and local government agencies would hold workshops on issues of common interests - local councils in NSW Australia would develop social plans - where they would identify demographics, issues and resources across a range of government and non government departments - they would also issue directories to advise the community of services/facilities for the aged, those with disabilities, multicultural backgrounds, childcare, youth sectors - it was crucial to know what was where so that groups could access funds to operate programs - the community services sector in every country is under huge demands - recently I read a really inspirational autobiography of a pioneer in social work  - "Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Republic" by Sattareh Farman Farmaian, ... more at  http://home.earthlink.net/~sattareh/synopsis.htm

          basically a whole lot of networking and sharing and interacting always going on in the community services sector - probably they were so busy doing all of this and not so much thought or analysis given to the ONA side - I don't think that you could survive in the community services sector unless you networked humbly, freely & generously - they are such "giving people" - regrettably an all too real problem was "burn out" of the community services sector workers as they deal daily with the disenfranchised and have-nots

          regards

          KerrieAnne Christian

          "Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."
          Anton Chekhov
          (1860-1904)

          Has anyone done an ONA in a social service agency (such as Child
          welfare or family services)?

          I would like to know what the three challenges were and how the
          employees reacted.

          Thanks.

          Nat Welch

          NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or proprietary. It is intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error. Any dissemination, copying, use or re-transmission of this message or attachment, or the disclosure of any information therein, is strictly forbidden. BlueScope Steel Limited does not represent or guarantee that this message or attachment is free of errors, virus or interference.

          If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of BlueScope Steel Limited.
        • Laurence Lock Lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2009

            Hi Nat,

            I hadn’t actually done an ONA but had done a Value Network Analysis with an aged care and disability agency. They were looking to manage what they called their “Intake” i.e. people coming to their front door asking for services. They were visualising a call centre of some sort. The VNA established that there were some important 3rd parties who acted as important “human qualifiers” of the applicants … usually they were counsellors or welfare workers not necessarily employed by the agency itself. I expect an ONA would pick this up. Of course the call centre solution would have bypassed these people completely and relied on scripts and form filling. I did work for quite a while with a number of these welfare agencies … child care as well and I found the staff usually well qualified and dedicated to the task. The risk I would anticipate they would see is that Management having another clever scheme to cut costs by cutting them out of the loop or restricting their natural desire to help by loading them up with too many cases etc… so you would need a pitch around how ONA would help leverage their skills and expertise, rather than bypass it.

            As an aside I heard a new term “Granny minding” … where someone wants to put their dependent granny in care for the weekend so that they can go on holidays J

            Laurence Lock Lee PhD

            Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd

            Ph: +61 (0)407001628

            www.optimice.com.au