RE: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection tools)

  • Christian, Kerrie KA
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
      we had a KM audit-SNA study done in my organisation  in 2004, by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
      - it identified future risks in our capabilities and we undertook KM (or more correctly Knowledge Sharing) interventions to reduce these risks and our dependency on just a few key gurus then in their late 50's

       2 years after the original study, a followup KM audit-SNA study was done by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
      -  which showed progress had been made to address these risks of dependency on only a few key gurus

      I shared these SNA experiences in papers presented at various engineering conferences & seminars over 2004 -2008
       - this has produced responses from many engineers from across Australia and also some international speakers regarding the risks  of loss of key expertise as the babyboomers move on

      - I personally found KM audit-SNA studies very valuable - especially when I lost key staff in the period 2007-2008 in the teams I manage
      - our strong Knowledge culture meant that we recognised the risks and so we captured some of the key unique  knowledge & experiences held by only a few people who were departing
      - so we used a range of strategies such as Knowledge Cafes, web 2.0-Wiki's etc

      so that in 2009 Knowledge Management is still a key feature of our activities

      as such I would consider that the SNA which was done on our organization way back in 2004 was successful

      KerrieAnne Christian