RE: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection tools)

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009

      Not to mention press release today from Human Capital Institute http://www.humancapitalinstitute.org/hci/press.guid?_releaseID=661

      Research report emphasizes the need for organizations to gain an appreciation of what SNA can do and also (interesting) that a number of companies do careful measurement of network components in their organizations and yet claim to never have heard of SNA! Web conference tomorrow …

      New Research from Saba and The Human Capital Institute Uncovers Opportunity for Organizations to Deliver Corporate Value from Enterprise Social Networking

      January 27 Webcast to Reveal Importance of Formalizing Corporate Social Networks to Improve Organizational Productivity

      Washington, D.C. and Redwood Shores, Calif. — January 26, 2009 — Saba Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SABA), the premier provider of people management software and services, and the Human Capital Institute (HCI) today announced the results of a new study, Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent. This new research shows that there is a tremendous opportunity for HR leaders to greatly enhance employee performance at work by becoming early movers in Social Network Analysis (SNA) and Corporate Social Networking (CSN).

      “Social Network Analysis is the foundation for successful corporate social networking initiatives,” said Allan Schweyer, executive director and senior vice president-research of HCI. “SNA reveals an organization’s information flow and true knowledge hierarchy. By knowingly applying SNA to its own social networking, organizations can begin to both improve existing networks and build new ones that will improve both talent management and overall organizational performance.”

      The report uncovers that today, less than 2 percent of human resources professionals are familiar with social network analysis — the mapping and measuring of flows of knowledge between people, groups, organizations or other components. However, more than 60 percent of organizations are already using some form of social networking tools that can enable the new, informal structures revealed by SNA. According to the study, organizations are more than likely to be using social networking to improve onboarding (71 percent) as well as support recruiting (62 percent) and mentoring/leadership development (61 percent).

      The study notes that to fully capture the benefits of the network-building and improvement activities now occurring, organizations need to become aware of the importance of looking at their networks analytically. SNA can be an organization’s most effective tool to understand how information flows and to identify its most active, valuable employee hubs and connectors. A single, enterprise-wide platform for social networking can complement SNA as an actionable means for organizations to both improve their networks and consolidate knowledge flow to drive better performance around the talent lifecycle.

      “It’s time for social networks to become a mainstream talent management process. Many are dabbling in it to see if it works,” said Dr. Rob Cross, professor of management at the University of Virginia and author of the just-released book, Driving Results Through Social Networks: How Top Organizations Leverage Networks for Performance and Growth. “This research proves that in today’s technology-driven economy, a formal SNA strategy can help organizations better acquire, develop, and retain their top performers.”

      The study will be unveiled January 27, 2009 in a joint Saba and HCI webcast entitled, “Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent.” To register for the webcast, visit www.hci.org or call 1-866-538-1909. In partnership with Professor Robert Cross of the University of Virginia, the study was undertaken by Saba and led by HCI senior researcher Dr. Ross Jones. Its purpose was to identify the level of Social Network Analysis awareness and use, and ascertain at what levels it can be integrated into an organization’s talent management process. The study was based on research with 319 individuals from public and private sector organizations.

      “This study exposes an immediate opportunity for HR to evaluate their organization and leverage enterprise social networking to drive productivity and lower costs,” said A.G. Lambert, vice president of marketing for Saba. “By identifying key employees, roles and contributions, organizations have the increased visibility to strengthen informal networks and conduct more effective employee development and workforce planning to drive competitive advantage.”

      Saba recently unveiled a new enterprise social networking platform — Saba Social — which is intended to support SNA by enabling organizations to analyze the contributions of employees, partners, and customers; build connected corporate communities; and accelerate high-quality knowledge exchange. Saba Social is designed to uniquely combine a rich person profile and competency framework with real-time collaboration and comprehensive social networking tools to capture knowledge and connect people with expertise. Saba Social is planned for general availability in mid-2009. For more information, please visit www.saba.com/sabasocial.

      A full copy of the Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent study is available to interested industry analysts and members of the media and will be available to the public at www.saba.com.

      About the Human Capital Institute
      The Human Capital Institute (HCI) is a catalyst for innovative new thinking in talent acquisition, development, deployment, and new economy leadership. Through research and collaboration, our global network of more than 138,000 members develops and promotes creativity, best and next practices, and actionable solutions in strategic talent management. Executives, practitioners, and thought leaders representing organizations of all sizes, across public, charitable, and government sectors, utilize HCI communities, education, events, and research to foster talent advantages to ensure organizational change for competitive results. www.hci.org

      About Saba
      Founded in 1997, Saba (NASDAQ: SABA) is the premier global provider of strategic Human Capital Management (HCM) software and services. Saba’s people management solutions are used by more than 1,300 organizations and over 17 million end-users worldwide. Saba’s solutions increase organizational performance by aligning workforce goals with organizational strategy; developing, managing, and rewarding their people; and improving collaboration.

      Saba product offerings address all aspects of strategic HCM and are available both on-premise and OnDemand (www.saba.com/products). To ensure long-term customer success, our global services capabilities and partnerships provide strategic consulting, comprehensive implementation services, and ongoing worldwide support.

      Saba customers include Alcatel-Lucent; Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ; BMW; Caterpillar; CEMEX; Cisco Systems; Daimler; Dell; Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu; EDS, an HP company; EMC Corporation; FedEx Office; Insurance Australia Group; Kaiser Permanente; Lockheed Martin; Medtronic; National Australia Bank; Novartis; Petrobras; Procter & Gamble; Renault; Royal Bank of Scotland; Scotiabank; Singapore Ministry of Finance; Sprint; Standard Chartered Bank; Stanford University; Swedbank; Tata Consultancy Services; Wyndham International; Weyerhaeuser; Underwriters Laboratories; and the U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, U.S. Department of Treasury/Internal Revenue Service, and U.S. Navy.

      Headquartered in Redwood Shores, California, Saba has offices on five continents. For more information, please visit www.saba.com or call +1-877-SABA-101 or +1-650-779-2791.

      Legal Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
      This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws, including, without limitation, statements regarding future releases of Saba’s products. Saba's actual results could differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Risks and uncertainties Saba faces that could cause results to differ materially include risks associated with: Saba's dependence on growth of the markets for Saba's products, dependence on acceptance of Saba's products by customers and channel partners, fluctuation in customer spending, length of Saba's sales cycle, competition, rapid technological change, dependence on new product introductions and enhancements and potential software defects. Readers should also refer to the section entitled "Risk Factors” on pages 11 through 21 of Saba's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended May 31, 2008 and similar disclosures in subsequent Saba periodic SEC reports. The forward-looking statements and risks stated in this press release are based on information available to Saba today. Saba assumes no obligation to update them.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
        Hi Valdis,

        Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching and didn't find them.

        Thanks!

          -- Kate
        -----------------
        Kate Ehrlich
        IBM Research/Cambridge
        617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
        katee@...

        Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
        Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

        01/26/2009 04:03 PM

        Please respond to
        ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

        ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
          Kate,

          Here is the Forbes: http://is.gd/7ZuF

          and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas and
          Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?

          Valdis

          On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:

          > Hi Valdis,
          >
          > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching and
          > didn't find them.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          >   -- Kate
          > -----------------
          > Kate Ehrlich
          > IBM Research/Cambridge
          > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
          > katee@...
          >

          > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
          > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
          > Please respond to
          > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

          > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
          > cc
          > Subject
          > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
          > tools)
          >

          > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
          > recent SNA project.
          >
          > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
          >
          > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are beaming
          > after a recent SNA.
          >
          > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so after
          > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
          >
          > Valdis
          >
          > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
          > SNA...
          >
          > http://is.gd/heFF
          >
          > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
          >
          > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA used
          > in
          > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
          > 'value'
          > > may be difficult to do?
          > >
          > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the 2008
          > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
          > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
          > > the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
          > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound effects!
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Phil

        • gjzunic
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
            WSJ link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123273549517510905.html

            --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

            > Kate,
            >
            > Here is the Forbes: http://is.gd/7ZuF
            >
            > and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas
            and
            > Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?
            >
            > Valdis
            >

            > On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:
            >

            > > Hi Valdis,
            > >
            > > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching
            and
            > > didn't find them.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > >   -- Kate
            > > -----------------
            > > Kate Ehrlich
            > > IBM Research/Cambridge
            > > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
            > > katee@...
            > >

            > > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
            > > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
            > >
            > > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
            > > Please respond to
            > > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

            > > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
            > > cc
            > > Subject
            > > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
            > > tools)
            > >

            > > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
            > > recent SNA project.
            > >
            > > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
            > >
            > > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are
            beaming
            > > after a recent SNA.
            > >
            > > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so
            after
            > > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
            > >
            > > Valdis
            > >
            > > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
            > > SNA...
            > >
            > > http://is.gd/heFF
            > >
            > > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
            > >
            > > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA
            used
            > > in
            > > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
            > > 'value'
            > > > may be difficult to do?
            > > >
            > > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the
            2008
            > > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
            > > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
            > > > the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
            > > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound
            effects!

            > > > Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Phil

          • Christian, Kerrie KA
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
              we had a KM audit-SNA study done in my organisation  in 2004, by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
              - it identified future risks in our capabilities and we undertook KM (or more correctly Knowledge Sharing) interventions to reduce these risks and our dependency on just a few key gurus then in their late 50's

               2 years after the original study, a followup KM audit-SNA study was done by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
              -  which showed progress had been made to address these risks of dependency on only a few key gurus

              I shared these SNA experiences in papers presented at various engineering conferences & seminars over 2004 -2008
               - this has produced responses from many engineers from across Australia and also some international speakers regarding the risks  of loss of key expertise as the babyboomers move on

              - I personally found KM audit-SNA studies very valuable - especially when I lost key staff in the period 2007-2008 in the teams I manage
              - our strong Knowledge culture meant that we recognised the risks and so we captured some of the key unique  knowledge & experiences held by only a few people who were departing
              - so we used a range of strategies such as Knowledge Cafes, web 2.0-Wiki's etc

              so that in 2009 Knowledge Management is still a key feature of our activities

              as such I would consider that the SNA which was done on our organization way back in 2004 was successful

              KerrieAnne Christian

              > and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas
              and
              > Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?
              >
              > Valdis
              >

              > On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Valdis,
              > >
              > > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching
              and
              > > didn't find them.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > >   -- Kate
              > > ------------ -----
              > > Kate Ehrlich
              > > IBM Research/Cambridge
              > > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
              > > katee@...
              > >

              > > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
              > > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com
              > >
              > > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
              > > Please respond to
              > > ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com

              > > ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com
              > > cc
              > > Subject
              > > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
              > > tools)
              > >

              > > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
              > > recent SNA project.
              > >
              > > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
              > >
              > > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are
              beaming
              > > after a recent SNA.
              > >
              > > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so
              after
              > > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
              > >
              > > Valdis
              > >
              > > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
              > > SNA...
              > >
              > > http://is.gd/ heFF
              > >
              > > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
              > >
              > > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA
              used
              > > in
              > > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
              > > 'value'
              > > > may be difficult to do?
              > > >
              > > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the
              2008
              > > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
              > > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
              > > > the 'trough of disillusionment' . Still, it provided very useful
              > > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound
              effects!

              > > > Regards,
              > > >
              > > > Phil

              NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or proprietary. It is intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error. Any dissemination, copying, use or re-transmission of this message or attachment, or the disclosure of any information therein, is strictly forbidden. BlueScope Steel Limited does not represent or guarantee that this message or attachment is free of errors, virus or interference.

              If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of BlueScope Steel Limited.